Question for the cab over folks

pods8

Contributors
Looks like while the roof is going up/down on these things the flaps are stowed away and the interior of the camper is exposed to snow, wind, rain, bugs, etc. does this present much of an issue? Have at home alaskan tinkerers installed a soft side in there as well to protect things during this transitional phase?

You considering getting an Alaskan?

Nope. But I am collection design ideas for a possible home build (home skillet is a bad influence :p, I'm doing my research and jotting ideas to determine feasibility before pulling the trigger to dive in).

I like how the Alaskan hard walls fold up to keep a low profile on the cab over and still have good winter thermal insulation. The open air aspect is something that I have some ideas to overcome but since Alaskans have been in the hands of the public for years I figured I'd poll the users to see their opinions on it and what has already been concocted.

The top is up and the sides set in less than a couple of minutes. I have never had it be an issue, although last spring we sat in the cab and watched a spectacular thunder storm on the White Rim Trail for about an hour before we set up the camper. The rain was hard enough we probably would have stayed in the truck even with a traditional hardsided camper. I have set it up in the rain and snow and never thought it was a problem.

good luck

We have used ours in the snow and had not thought about it until your post. With the sides down there is only a small area of the bed exposed, any rain or snow is on the outside when the sides and front are lifted into place. We also have the electric hydrolic (sp) lift so it is fast going up. On the plus side the front can be left open when we stop for lunch in Baja the extra ventilation keep cooking smells to a minimum.

Well glad to hear its not an out of the box complaint, still might consider applying a soft barrier in there (or at least the provisions to add one in).

Still doing a lot of reading on laminating, supplies, etc. to figure out if this gets a thumbs up or down from me. Then I'll start dumping more effort into actual design/layout.

Either of you to willing to snap some detailed shots of the alaskan overhead area & flaps as well as the door system at some point? Again I'm just looking for general ideas as I go along to keep the creative juices flowing. This would be a custom build for me & my need likely utilizing some similar design features of various campers on the market as well as the sizing and other specific items I want that make what I want not fit any of the campers on the market (and would likely cost a crap load to have someone manufacturer it custom :LOL: ).

When I got my Alaskan I was concerned about the weather getting in also. It hasn't been a problem. One reason is that when the top is going up or down, most of the bed is protected by the folded up walls.

We have found that being able to leave those walls folded up in nice weather / conditions is a real bonus. You can get lots of air movement and the view is really good!

Pods8, I will take any pictures you would like, just let me know. Better yet we are not that far apart that we could come down your way some weekend and you could look at it yourself.

I will be replacing my rear wall this winter and will know a lot more after that. We bought ours used, but just one owner. He had one of those electric boat lifts installed on the rear and it cracked on both sides just above the door. I think that it would take a good sized boat and still lift it but the boat lift itself was just to much. I have been though the factory and watched them being assembled. I also have a full woodworking shop so it should not be a big deal. If you like building and have a good shop building your own is not out of the question infact it might just be fun. Cheers

Pods8, I will take any pictures you would like, just let me know. Better yet we are not that far apart that we could come down your way some weekend and you could look at it yourself.

I will be replacing my rear wall this winter and will know a lot more after that. We bought ours used, but just one owner. He had one of those electric boat lifts installed on the rear and it cracked on both sides just above the door. I think that it would take a good sized boat and still lift it but the boat lift itself was just to much. I have been though the factory and watched them being assembled. I also have a full woodworking shop so it should not be a big deal. If you like building and have a good shop building your own is not out of the question infact it might just be fun. Cheers

If you get a chance some general shots of the flap system open & closed and same with the door (esp. the differences in the top & bottom) would come in handy at this very early stage of brainstorming (sometimes seeing things quickly points out geometrical issues that don't pop into the head right away).

If you're ever heading down already at some point sure I'd love to check it out but I wouldn't go out of your way at this stage.

I like building and its half the fun to me. My only concern is never having designed or worked with foam sandwich fiberglass, resin, epoxy, etc. which I'm doing my homework on currently. Don't want to dive in and be over my head and either scrap the project or have something I'm unsatisfied with.

Back
Top Bottom