Question on setting up my InReach

One good-news item in this is the GPS position shown in the email is a still a good one (even if clicking the link won't take the reader to the right place).

I'm referring to the line "<Inreach-user-name> sent this message from LAT <latitude coordinate> LON <longitude coordinate>. "

If you start up Google Maps and paste that "LAT <so-and-so> LON <so-and-so>" text into the search box, you'll get an error. But if you then simply backspace over the letters 'LAT' and 'LON' and try again, you'll see the position on Google Maps. And Google Maps will show the position in two formats-- decimal degrees (DD) and degrees, minutes, and seconds (DMS).

And of course the coordinates can be used in other mapping systems or entered into a GPS, etc.

The other good news is the Reply function still works. I had my wife click on the link in the email, verify she was seeing a world map (not my position), and then reply from the box in the upper-right corner. That message came through to my Inreach as expected.

I had also noticed the Lat Long was correct
I contacted inReach today about 8:00 am. I walked them through it and told them everything I had done. We were on the phone quite a while. In the end they said to keep that from happening don't erase the way point. I said YA I kind of already know that.
The issue is if a guy is in the field and someone has access to the admin page this could happen. Maybe they will look into fixing it maybe they won't. They didn't tell me much but I wondered if some of that was for legal reasons.
Here is what it looked like on mine. I took a screen shot.

Pjx0PiE.png

rgN3MDs.png

To me the ultimate fix is to make something that will not allow the name to be posted to a specific spot. Like when you click on the link it just opens a world map no name on it.

Thanks for posting the screen shots, Ron. I was surprised to see they have your message and location pin on them. I didn't see that in the testing on my laptop.

That prompted me to get out my iPad and tap on the link in that email, just to see if there was any difference. I was very surprised to now see my text message and the blue pin overlaid on the world map. And when I zoomed in I saw the location is exactly the same as yours... just off 488 west of Hartland, CT. That's about 70 miles north of where the map was centered on my laptop screen.

Also- When I tap on the message, the info screen that pops up doesn't have the lat-lon coordinates for that location in Connecticut. It has the coordinates I sent the message from (my house).

Very odd.

What is real odd is when I look at it on the email there is no pin with my name. When I look at it in the text message on my phone it has the pin with my name.
I hope that they just fix it but I don't think they are going to bother. At least that was what it sounded like to me.

Back
Top Bottom