Question re Fleet options

Fred Stevens

Hi 4 Wheelers-
I'm in the process of deciding what to include in a new Fleet for a Tacoma TRD Prerunner.
After looking at the 4 Wheel web site and reading this forum which has been informative, I have several questions before submitting an order. First of all, 4Wheel indicates that the stock Toyota Tacoma TRD Prerunner can handle a Fleet insert without modification. My concern like others has to do with the rear suspension. Should I add air bags, 4 leaf springs? I'm inclined to add air bags first if body roll is a problem, then 4 leaf springs later if needed.
Second, I would like to get thoughts regarding the front vs the side dinette option. The front dinette is listed as a $1200 option, while the side dinette seating is $500, quite a difference. I wouldn't be using the shower option, so I'm not sure the front dinette offers that much more functionality. Besides, from pictures that I've seen, it looks like the front dinette seat's back cushions block the view out the main side window.
My other concerns have to do with power consumption. I plan to do some dry camping, sometimes up to 8,000 feet elevation (but only for 2-3 days at a time, so I'm thinking of foregoing a refrigerator and just using the stock icebox. The furnace option is important for the wife but what is the current draw for the fan? In a similar vein, I'm guessing that the hot water option for the Fleet is an on demand system, but is it electrical or gas fired?
Although I don't have a Fleet unit yet, I hope to get more ideas by dropping by the rally at Sugar Loaf State Park in late April, but I wouldn't be camping. I would like to meet other 4 Wheelers and see what works for them.

Everything depends on what you like to do and how far back into the Remote you like to go. Just because your rig sets level doesn't mean it will stay level after your wheels drop abruptly off a 2 foot ledge of rock. However, if you just like logging roads into National Forest, you might get by with a stock Tacoma or maybe airbags. Every FWC add-on Weighs something in addition to the dry-weight marked on the camper; so buy what you need based on what you do. Keep in mind that where you go has more to do with, Tires, Ground Clearance & Skill Level, than Weight. I find Subaru's in the most remote locations. Some kind of heater is a must in winter, however, if you use good sleeping bags and not run it all night long the fan will last for days on end. Remember, every time you move the truck, you charge the battery. I bought a refrigerator but I have never used it since we normally eat things made with boiling water or in a pot. I am not unsatisfied, since when I get older I may become a State Park'eer and need it. When you go to the rally make sure you talk to people who do your kind of things in the type of truck you have.

As Far As Heat Goes, Id Recommend Plumbing In A Mr Buddy. It Comes With A Caution, But If Used Properly You Can Heat The Wife Out Of There With Zero Battery Drain. Two Stock propane Cans Last Me Almost One Week During Hunting Season. Byproduct Of Combustion Is C02 And Moisture...

Again, Read Up On Catalytic Heaters And Ventilate Properly. In Colder Climates You Can't Beat Them.

I'm also looking at a fleet currently. You are going to want some help with rear springs. You should ask yourself how you plan to use the truck and if the camper will be on most of the time or only for camping trips. In my case, I will keep the camper mounted 90% of the time or better so I will have custom leaf springs made. I will get the total weight on the rear axle, and have the spring pack built to carry X pounds with Y amount of lift. The leaf springs will hold up off road and handle better in general, but will not have a smooth ride unloaded, and will not have easy adjustability.

If you will use the camper occasionally and dont plan to off road, air bags might be okay. They do however place a large force on a part of the frame that isn't designed for it, which should be given some thought with a smaller/light frame. Also if you over extend them or the compress too hard, they can tear themselves apart. They are generally not as durable but typically fine if you're driving easy roads.

I'm planning to order the front dinette. I've spent a decent amount of time at shows sitting in both. The side dinette is very cramped. I'm 6' with size 12.5 shoes and my wife is short. When we are both in the side dinette we are kicking each other and her legs are practically dangling. The rear seat back is in the way of the door and needs to fold over most of the time to get in and out. Walking/standing/changing space is somewhat limited. The window is so low on the fleet that the only thing you will be looking at while sitting is the ground next to the camper. That's just my opinion. It looks much more attractive in pictures than it actually felt. The one bonus I see is that one person can stay laying in the bed, and the other can still access half of the kitchen, and "maybe" sit in the rear seat. Although the bed would be right in your face.

The front dinette just felt better. My wife and I both preferred it. The seats are wider (30" maybe?), your legs are better supported, you have more leg room because the dinette stretches the full width. When someone is standing in the "kitchen" and the other seated, nobody is in the other's way. Standing is much more comfortable this way. If you might occasionally have a third person or a kid along, the dinette makes into a much more comfortable bed, and it won't blocking the kitchen or exit. The downside is that if just one person gets up, the other can't sit at the table. But when one of us is up its usually because we want to go see or do something anyway.

Everyone's opinion is going to vary. Personally we never spent much time "hanging out" or sitting in our other camper. Definitely didn't sit inside and stare outside, we just went outside. If we were hiding from weather, there wasnt a lot to look at anyway, and the side window doesn't provide much of a view from dinette anyway. Truthfully, you need to go spend some time in both floor plans. I've had different plans many times based on pictures online, and my opinion was entirely different when I saw in person.

brianjwilson said:
Everyone's opinion is going to vary. Personally we never spent much time "hanging out" or sitting in our other camper. Definitely didn't sit inside and stare outside, we just went outside. If we were hiding from weather, there wasnt a lot to look at anyway, and the side window doesn't provide much of a view from dinette anyway. Truthfully, you need to go spend some time in both floor plans. I've had different plans many times based on pictures online, and my opinion was entirely different when I saw in person.
Great advice, spend some time in both front and side dinettes. I was sure I wanted to build my Hawk out with a front dinette that came in the shell I purchased used. We had a side dinette in my old Hawk, after spending time in both I have build a side dinette and taken out the front dinette.

Bill

Oh boy, another new Fleet! I'm also in the process of ordering one for my '07 Tacoma.

I have chosen the front dinette version (no shower). I spent some time sitting in them when I visited the factory and the front dinette seemed more comfortable. Wider seats and out of the way of the kitchen. Also the lower bed is bigger. I was disappointed that the seat backs block the windows but, as brianjwilson pointed out, they are not really for looking out, except at the ground.

I'm getting the furnace, but probably won't use it much (just peace-of-mind for my girlfriend). My brother says just a few minutes on a cold morning will warm the place right up. I've been advised that you need the second battery if you are getting the 2-way frige. The water heater is a gas-fired demand heater. My brother, who has been travelling all over the West in his FWC for about 15 years insists that you need to have two roof vents with fans.

You have to do something to the suspension. The Tacoma is technically overloaded with the Fleet in place. I've chosen to start with air bags because I need to take the camper off and use my truck for other things. Also, some folks swear by them as a way to level the camper. I got a pair of Boss airbags from CSI and they look good, but I haven't installed them yet (waiting for this #@!$% winter to end!). They sold me a cute tiny compressor. I'll try the camper with the airbags and, if neccesary, add some kind of sway-bar.

I went ahead and got new LT (load range E) tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3. My old tires were practically new, but I'll see what I can get for them on Craigslist.

Welcome to the cult, Fred!

- Bernard

Old Man Emu likely makes a good leaf pack for the Tacoma. I have the hd 800 pound ones and it was a little weak for loaded fleet on a 5 foot box but perfect for a base falcon(finch) with lots of beer.

I wouldn't worry about furnace draw if you go with the smallest atwood furnace the 7912-ii has the smallest draw. You can sure save money with an ice box and catalytic heater.

Happy camping! I love my 84 fleet but decided to buy a shorter camper rather then buy a new truck with the longer box.

There is also an 8012-I furnace with a 1.8 amp draw vs the 3.4 amp draw on the 7912. This is what I would like to run, but I don't know if Fwc will install. It is a little disappointing since they have changed their production line. Any sort of customization thing I've asked about got shut down. "If it's not on the options list, we won't do it." I understand but it is still disappointing.

Either way it's normally best to use a good sleeping bag or comforter and use the furnace to keep it above freezing, and run it to warm up a bit in the morning. If you try to keep it 70 degrees all night when it's cold, you'll be draining the battery pretty quick.

When I got my Hawk I didn't get the heater. I thought that I would use a buddy and it would be good enough. After 25 nights in my hawk at times I would like a forced air heater. When I was hunting with it I had my generator and plenty of power. The buddy is plenty of heat for me but condensation is an issue. I might be wrong but it is going to be an issue with any heater if the outside is colder than the inside. I added a thermal pack to mine. I used to for two nights this week. The first night it was in the high 20's low 30's and the buddy heater and thermal pack still had condensation. The next night I used an extra wool quilt turned off the heater and opened both windows in the sleeping loft. I had no condensation. I think it is like a bottle of cold pop or beer. The barrier between cold and warm will have condensation no matter what you do.
The buddy is a great way to maintain plenty of battery for the rest of the camper. I think the Wave heater would be equally as good. The small tanks from FWC will last several nights on low. If you crank it up to high like I had to in January, a few days is all it is going to last.

brianjwilson said:
There is also an 8012-I furnace with a 1.8 amp draw vs the 3.4 amp draw on the 7912. This is what I would like to run, but I don't know if Fwc will install.
The 8012 is the furnace we install at FWC.

When we ordered our Fleet last year, we also struggled with the front versus side dinette decision. Clearly there are pros and cons to both. We opted for the side dinette because we thought it felt better to us (we are not large people) but really wanted to be able to see out the window. Absolutely no regrets about this decision. Go with what feels the best to you regardless of what any of us have to say. Good luck with your decisions.

Fred, you don't say where you are, so in general unless your in very cold country you won't need a furnace. We use Mr. heater portable catalytic propane or just run one of the stove burners 5 min in the morning to knock the chill off. Air bags are good if you take the camper off as the. Spring upgrade will be too stiff for running empty.

Our Eagle shell weighs 1000 pounds. With one person Tacoma weighs 5430 pounds - 70 less than Gross !!

There is not a lot of room inside so spend some time in them before you select front or side dinette.

Lastly.......Hmmm ............there goes my memory again!! ....Oh yea there it is.

Even fully loaded for a week in the desert at 6180 pounds truck still is nimble and stops easily.

Since you will probably take the camper off when not camping, you will only be overloaded a short time during its life.

Back
Top Bottom