Questions for a Stripped down build

spnce

Hey guys,
First off - as a new user, this forum is awesome, tons of useful info. Hopefully I'm not rehashing old topics here.

Here are the details of the build I'm pondering:
- Intended to be used (initially) for 2 dudes on a winter-long ski trip around North America, so it'll be cold!

- I'm looking at getting an Eagle shell model with a furnace, putting in seating along both sides and installing a fold-away counter to cook on

- This'll be going on my 06 Tundra (and I'll put airbags & a sway bar on it)

My questions:
- Is an Eagle reasonable for two ~6 ft guys? I've never stepped inside any FWC...

- If I get an auxiliary battery and connect it to the truck's electrical system, will I ever need shore power? What if I got a fridge too, then would I ever need shore power?

- If we run the furnace, make coffee and cook meals everyday, how often will we need to refill the propane?

Thanks

I've got a 2006 Tundra also and in April got a new Fleet - it adds 5" of width over the Eagle. I looked in both models and was surprised what a difference the 5" makes - felt much roomier.

The Hawk is even bigger and fits this first gen Tundra, but I went with the Fleet, because if anything ever happens to my Tundra, I would go down in size to a Tacoma and the Fleet fits the Tacoma also.

I put airbags on also and have not felt the need for a sway bar. I did install E rated tires which I think make a huge difference. I also feel safer when I go off road and my sidewalls are rubbing against boulders - those 10 ply tires are tough.

I've got a 2006 Tundra also and in April got a new Fleet - it adds 5" of width over the Eagle. I looked in both models and was surprised what a difference the 5" makes - felt much roomier.

The Hawk is even bigger and fits this first gen Tundra, but I went with the Fleet, because if anything ever happens to my Tundra, I would go down in size to a Tacoma and the Fleet fits the Tacoma also.

This is a good point. Especially if you want to put a couch down both sides of the camper, a Hawk (or even the Fleet) will make things feel much roomier.

How much propane depends. Getting or making an arctic pack? Adding extra insulation where it needs it? Depending on conditions I'd guess you'd need propane weekly. You'll need the extra battery. Shore power depends. How often are you moving?

A ski area parking lot winter long trip around North America you say. Have you checked the price of lift tickets lately? A Vail Epic Pass which is good at all their 7 or 8 resorts might work. You can also buy a season pass at Sun Peaks Resort right now for $550 and then get 25% off lift tickets at all the other ski resorts in the British Columbia interior.

As far as an FWC camper with stock insulation for 2 guys for the winter, NO! However it could work for a week or two while you find permanent winter accommodation in whatever ski town you settle on.

I use my TC for 1 to 3 week ski trips and decided to spend the extra $ and get a custom Phoenix camper from Coyote RV. I have 1.5 to 2" insulation everywhere, 4 layer soft wall arctic pack, and a 20,000btu furnace, 2 20lb. propane tanks and a 2000w Honda generator. I have a duct from the furnace that goes to the shower stall so it can double as a dry room, and I can direct heat into the cabinet that houses the grey water tank. I don't use the fresh water tank in winter and have no shower plumbing to worry about freezing. Instead I use a primitive shower. I heat water on the stove and fill a 2 gallon pump-up garden sprayer fitted with a low volume shower head. Shower with 2 gallons of water, works great.

When it is minus 18C (0F) I can keep the camper close to room temp. Propane use can vary quite a bit but I figure 3 or 4 days on a 20 lb. tank. If it is cold out or if you keep the furnace on low during the day for your dog, like I do, then you will likely need to charge the battery daily (the furnace fan can really drain a battery but pumps out a lot of heat). My generator puts out 1600 watts continuously so after skiing I fill up the one gallon tank, turn off the propane furnace (to stop further battery drain), then turn on a 900 watt electric heater. The converter's built in battery charger automatically charges the battery. The generator will run about 8 hours on econo mode and that easily charges the battery and while I am running the gen and using electric heat I am saving propane.

Hope that gives the OP a bit of an idea of what is needed for what I think is a reasonable level of comfort for short term winter RVng.

Wow - 5 responses in 4 hours on a Sunday night? I like this place! Thanks for all the input, maybe the fleet is the right one. Is woodland, CA the only place to see all the models side by side?

How much propane depends. Getting or making an arctic pack? Adding extra insulation where it needs it? Depending on conditions I'd guess you'd need propane weekly. You'll need the extra battery. Shore power depends. How often are you moving?

I'm definitely planning on rolling my own arctic pack - or would I be better off getting the factory version?

I think we'll be sitting in one general area for 2-10 days at a time, but that would mean driving shorter distances (<50mi) daily to get from trailhead to trailhead. The plan is to follow the weather (however the plan is in its infancy right now, this won't be happening until winter 2013-14 - I wanna spend next winter saving money/getting the camper dialed).

As far as an FWC camper with stock insulation for 2 guys for the winter, NO! However it could work for a week or two while you find permanent winter accommodation in whatever ski town you settle on.

You think it'll be mostly too small or too cold? We'll probably try to time it to stay with friends for a few days every 2-3 weeks, just to stay sane. As far as cold goes, we're both fairly experienced in snow camping and climbing, so an RV sounds pretty warm and cushy to us but IDK, maybe I'm overestimating the comfort of these things

Have you checked the price of lift tickets lately?

We'll be (almost) exclusively backcountry skiing, so this shouldn't be an issue

Again, thanks!

I made two trips to Woodland before buying. You can see all the models and all the options, and ask all of your questions. Even a shell, or one with just a few options, is a big investment.

For me it was worth the time to go there. For example, many on the forums complain about how loud the factory heater is. When I went to the factory I was convinced that I was not going to get the factory heater because of what I had read. However, when I saw/heard the heater I found it to be fine, in fact, quieter than many cheap hotels I've stayed at over the years. Turns out FWC has a new heater that is quieter than the older heaters some on the forums have. Based on my visit to the factory I changed my mind on a number of options.

Wow - 5 responses in 4 hours on a Sunday night? I like this place! Thanks for all the input, maybe the fleet is the right one. Is woodland, CA the only place to see all the models side by side?

I'm definitely planning on rolling my own arctic pack - or would I be better off getting the factory version?

I think we'll be sitting in one general area for 2-10 days at a time, but that would mean driving shorter distances (<50mi) daily to get from trailhead to trailhead. The plan is to follow the weather (however the plan is in its infancy right now, this won't be happening until winter 2013-14 - I wanna spend next winter saving money/getting the camper dialed).

You think it'll be mostly too small or too cold? We'll probably try to time it to stay with friends for a few days every 2-3 weeks, just to stay sane. As far as cold goes, we're both fairly experienced in snow camping and climbing, so an RV sounds pretty warm and cushy to us but IDK, maybe I'm overestimating the comfort of these things

We'll be (almost) exclusively backcountry skiing, so this shouldn't be an issue

Again, thanks!

While going from a snow cave or winter tenting to any type of RV is an up grade in comfort, how many consecutive days snow camping have you done in the past? In other words, won't your number of nights wintering in an RV full time far exceed the number of nights you usually snow camp? Maybe the comparison should be between living in a house or apartment for the winter with some tenting compared to living in an RV full time in the winter with only occasional staying at a friend's place. I think a small pop-up, marginally insulated camper will be too small AND too cold for two people for a winter long main residence.

- If we run the furnace, make coffee and cook meals everyday, how often will we need to refill the propane?

I believe FWC uses a 16,000 btu furnace on their units. The Propane Gas Association of Canada says you get 21,622 btu/lb. So, you should be able to run the furnace for about an hour and 20 minutes per pound. A 20 lb container should last 27 hours of continuous running. Now the only question is to figure out how long the furnace will actually be running on any given day which is, of course, a function of outside temperature and how well insulated your camper is. Don't forget to allow for fresh air when using the stove inside. Dying of carbon monoxide is a dumb way to check out.

If my calculations are off, would someone add a correction!

Back
Top Bottom