Quick Midewwk trip to Pinnacles Nationla Monument

K6ON

Old & Soft
Being retired is great...I got tired of the rain Wed night and decided to get out of Dodge for a couple days.
Thursday mid-day I left Sacramento in the pouring rain headed to Pinnacles National Monument.
As I turned onto Hy 25 at Hollister the rain stopped, and it was sunshine from then on. Arriving at Pinnacles, I found the RV campground almost empty. There was one small motorhome, a 5th wheel, and myself in the entire campground.
Up early Friday morning, I found I was the only person at the trailhead and had the East side of the monument virtually to myself. Saw Condors, multiple Coyotes and lots of bird life. The trails were spectacular and there was color everywhere. I ended up hiking all day Friday. While I was out hiking Friday, a few more rigs arrived, and now there was 6 total.
Got up early Saturday morning and went out for a couple hours, then packed up and headed home around noon.
What a wonderful break from the rain and fog of the Sacramento valley.

A Few Pictures.

Attachments

• Pinnacle1.jpg
    Pinnacle1.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 268
  • Pinnacles2.jpg
    Pinnacles2.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 257
More Pictures

Attachments

• pinnacles3.jpg
    pinnacles3.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 211
  • pinnacles4.jpg
    pinnacles4.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 247
  • pinnacles5.jpg
    pinnacles5.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 200
And a few more

Attachments

• Pinnacles8.jpg
    Pinnacles8.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Pinnacles 6.jpg
    Pinnacles 6.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 192
Very cool photos!
I've never been there...but from what I heard (friends who have rock-climbed there) I expected it to be less green, more wide-open and brown...for some reason.

Mr. Delta, really nice and looks like a lot of fun. We hope you continue to enjoy retirement fun like this for years and years to come!

Very cool photos!
I've never been there...but from what I heard (friends who have rock-climbed there) I expected it to be less green, more wide-open and brown...for some reason.

The East side is the green side and the west is more rocky. It is winter and they've had a lot of rain so it's greener than usual. It's like Death Valley, visit during the winter and spring, stay away in the summer, too damn hot.

The only camping is on the east side, and the road does NOT go through. Great hiking and climbing on the west side also, and you can hike between the two sides, but if you want to camp use the east entrance. It's about a two hour drive around the park between entrances.

The East side is the green side and the west is more rocky.

Great hiking and climbing on the west side also, and you can hike between the two sides, but if you want to camp use the east entrance. It's about a two hour drive around the park between entrances.

I posted this old photo of the higher, dryer west side a while ago.

Thanks for the photos of the wetter east side, DeltaRat. I'll have to visit there one of these days . . .

Good stuff, Bob. We've been there a couple of times. They have some nice hikes as you discovered. We saw condors both times but at a distance. I have heard people that watched them soar nearby while on the High Peaks Trail. That would be cool.

If you are still tired of the fog, we just got back from Alabama Hills. Mid 60's and sunny while we were there. What else are you going to do - go to work?

Thank-you for sharing. This place looks intriguing for photography: love the greens. And, a bonus that it wasn't busy. Being retired is the life. Too bad that we can't reverse the order.

Being retired is the life. Too bad that we can't reverse the order.

Reverse the order as in retirement first and then work?
The major flaw with that: Too many people would commit suicide at the end of retirement.

This discussion of Pinnacles prompted me to get off my butt and go see it for myself. Thanks everyone. The hiking was excellent, the condors spectacular, and empty campgrounds are by far the best.

IMG_3330_1_4.JPG IMG_3361_1_1_1.JPG IMG_3366_1_2_2.jpg

Great shots, HikerCook! So very cool that you got to see them up close. Was that from the High Peaks Trail? The Pinnacles should have their spring bloom in March and will be more crowded then, but still worth the trip.

The photos really are amazing. Thanks for taking so much care and time putting those up. It helps peole like me (cubicle monkey) really get a sense of the area.
Gonna put it in my bucket list.

Home Skillet

Was that from the High Peaks Trail?

Yep. That portion of the High Peaks Trail marked "steep and narrow" on the park service map offered the best vantage points. Condor #40 landed on a rock outcrop about 50' off the trail.

Thank-you for sharing. This place looks intriguing for photography: love the greens. And, a bonus that it wasn't busy. Being retired is the life. Too bad that we can't reverse the order.

Hi Judy. The Pinnacles are so cool .We live just a short distance from the west side and make that trip at least a few times spring and fall. Summer is way too hot. You should put it on your list when you get your new camper. The condors are so great to watch. They come to you and check you out. Last year at easter time there was a chick,the first time in almost 100 years. The nest was in a spot that could be easily seen and with a good telephoto you could get some fantastic shots.But its a long drive for you guys.

Frank

condors 005.jpgHi Judy. The Pinnacles are so cool .We live just a short distance from the west side and make that trip at least a few times spring and fall. Summer is way too hot. You should put it on your list when you get your new camper. The condors are so great to watch. They come to you and check you out. Last year at easter time there was a chick,the first time in almost 100 years. The nest was in a spot that could be easily seen and with a good telephoto you could get some fantastic shots.But its a long drive for you guys.

Frank

These were taken a few years ago about 8 miles south of Big Sur. They were about 7 of them and they were just sitting and flying right next to the road. When we pulled over next to the guard rail there was one about 5' away on the ocean side of the rail. Unfortunately they haven't been back to the same spot in 2 years,but every time we drive past that spot we still hope and look.

Attachments

• condors 003.jpg
    condors 003.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 120
  • condors 004.jpg
    condors 004.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 122

Back
Top Bottom