Quick note about I5 in Northern CA and also 97 Weed to Columbia River

CALIcamperdad

Just did a fast trip for a Funeral. We drove 97 north from Weed CA to the Columbia River on Thursday/Friday last week. Very nice drive great road conditions etc. However!!! Be Warned herds of deer at dusk and after dark crossing the road between Klamath Falls and Bend Or. Talking 20-30 deer in groups at times crossing the road! We crossed through there late Thursday night with little to zero traffic so slowing down when spotting them at the outer range of the highbeams was easy to do. However dusk travel with more traffic could pose an interesting situation with drivers who do not slow down and nearly drive up your back side as you do slow etc.

All the truckers running that route all have big heavy bush style bumpers for obvious reasons. I did see a few very smashed up cars at a couple of gas stations which were clearly deer strike victims.

On the way home we did 97 from the Columbia River to 138 then cut down past Crater Lake down through the Rogue River basin to Medford to visit some family before finishing our drive the next day south on I5.

Be WARNED!!! I5 both directions north and south between Redding and the Oregon Border has many sections of single lane road work which during high traffic times can pose a major delay and slow effort going south or north through the Shasta and high plain area just north of Shasta.

We did witness an interesting event on I5 between Redding and Williams though. Traffic was fairly heavy and we came up on a miles long traffic jam moving between 55 and 65mph for over 20 minutes it was your classic miles of tailgating impatient folks slowly working past truckers and RV's etc. We watched a CHP headed north turn around U turn across to the South bound and after about 25 minutes we watched him pull over a Prius which was plugging along in the passing lane at 70mph creeping past truckers doing over 65mph and thus created this miles long back up. It took about 10 minutes for the back up to clear out and return to nicely spaced out vehicles.

Both directions we came across what I found to be a large number of car drivers who seem to be camped out in the left passing lanes with the cruise set to the speed limit or lower and in a couple of cases were being passed by truckers on 97 to the right in the passing lane sections. Not safe!!!

Just reminding folks stay right unless your passing and letting truckers pass you on the left side is OK its far safer for them too!!!

Just missed it! Passed through there around 10am. Fire sounds bad. We stopped in Shasta for about 10 minutes for a quick break around 9:30 and it was already pushing 85+ temp wise and man is it dry up there! For sure high Fire danger.

Back
Top Bottom