Quick trip up 89

craig333

Riley's Human
Went up 50, over to 88 to 89 to highway 4 to check out conditions at centerville campground. Tons of snow left in the high country but the high desert is mostly snow free. Lots of people fishing the east fork of the carson, strangely no one fishing wolf creek. Road is plowed to the wolf creek campground and interestingly, the signs warning of mountain lions are no longer there. Centerville flats and the surrounding areas had some campers but I was able to easily find a spot to myself.

It was cold at night. Real cold. Dogs bowl was frozen solid. I used nearly a third of a tank of propane running the heater, more than I've ever used anywhere else before. I was glad I wasn't one of those in the half dozen tents I saw. I hope the two guys in sleeping bags on the ground didn't freeze to death.

Very scenic ride. Snow didn't really thin until below 6000'. I was surprised to see silver lake still frozen over. Even though I got a late start saturday still glad I went even if it was just a quick up and back.

Boo caltrans. Website said monitor pass was closed. Its quite open.

Was that you coming south toward 9 yesterday? I was in a gold Tundra with an ATC Ocelot and flashed you back. Yeah, was cold in Zion too.

S

Back
Top Bottom