Quiet

buckland

Site Team
One of the reasons I love going off the beaten track is to hear birds, animals, wind, water and even bugs.
When you can hear your heartbeat and be pulled to a direction listening for a clearer connection to something in the wild doing its thing. For us, being 'stuck' in the Northeast, finding quiet is getting harder. I am lucky that I live in a very quiet spot. This also has its down side as I find that when I go some places its just too noisy of the manmade kind. I can never understand hearing a generator in the wild or a loud radio. I wonder ( know it sounds judgmental ) why one goes out into the quiet and needing to bring noise.
I know I know... to each his own but when what I do interferes with other's ability to enjoy something (like talking during a music recital) it just seems basic. Anyway ... folks who have a lot of the wild open spaces are very lucky. It is something not to take for granted as it is apparent here in the east what we have lost by the crowding. At some point that wild open space where one could have a radio and not be heard (some take as a basic freedom) will with more people, not a freedom but an infringement on the "Group".

I used to live in Japan for a few years. It is incredibly, densely populated. Their culture has had to evolve whereby the group's 'freedom' is as important as the individual's. A communitarian outlook. One good example to visualize how crowded (this is from 25 years ago): Japan is comparable in size to California. Japan is 80% mountainous....so think... 20% of the land of California ..... now take half of that away for agriculture... visualizing 10% of the landmass is used for people..... here's the kicker......now put half the population of America on that land. They are a land of rules.... gotta have them to get along that tightly packed.

This is a poster of a kind one sees all over the place. It can be easily "translated" ... "be aware of others and monitor your noise". I loved Japan. I learned a lot about a lot. (man the food is incredible... and the hot tubs!)

I feel the same way about excess light pollution... lights on for no reason blocking out the night sky.

Anyway all this came to me over there morning coffee as I read this article and looked at the 'sound maps' about the noise in our National Parks.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/04/humans-create-a-racket-in-nations-parks/

(of course having been a teacher of 13-14 year olds for 30 years also had me seeking solitude whenever possible!)

Attachments

• IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3304.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 77
I had the camper out for a couple of days with a friend. We had a similar conversation. I have a nice log home in a nice spot with some land. Now that I'm retired I can spend days at a time without ever leaving. In this area it's often hard to find a nicer, quieter place to camp nearby than my own backyard!

My thoughts and experiences:

- White River campground on the East side of Mt Rainier NP: a young and economically rising family out camping with a newly acquired travel trailer happily gathered around the camp fire including their active Honda 2000 generator (in the campfire circle) during generator hours. The new "Norman Rockwell" America.

- Standing Indian campground near the Georgia/North Carolina border: 80% of the campers had generators and all operated them from 6 pm to 9 pm every evening including a middle aged couple gathered around their evening camp fire in the company of their active work generator (in the campfire circle).

- Porcupine Mountains SP in northern Michigan: mid-day, a family of four pulls a fifth wheel camper into the center site of a 60 site figure eight campground, hop into the camper, and starts a work generator sitting in the truck bed which could be heard 1/2 mile away. The family never got out of the camper despite the campground being on the mouth of the Presque River cascading into Lake Superior. Their generator was the only operating generator in the campground.

One of the big reasons we switched from tent and trailer camping to our truck camper was to move easily and so leave noise. We have left paid camp sites to move to another campground as well as moving within a campground to obtain quiet or at least less noise. We have on multiple occasions asked guitar players to stop playing at night including one nationally known and all did including the player who drove into Elkmont campground, Great Smokey Mountains NP, at midnight and started playing.

All campers pay the same fee more-or-less and so I do not believe in suffering while another camper obtains some benefit from noise at my expense.

Our next camping purpose (after day hiking coast-to-coast) could be dispersed camping to avoid people (noise). It strikes me as odd to trade-in my sub $50,000 1/2 ton truck/Granby for a $100,000+ 1 ton truck/Hallmark (black tanks and better sound proofing in the fabric) for the purpose of finding a campsite surrounded by considerate people (i.e. none).

We are currently satisfied with our ability to avoid noise using maneuverability, strategy, and research instead of a "wallet". If I fell in love with one area of the country, then I would spend the time to locate dispersed camping sites there and go big $$$.

In the meantime, I just move.

Like Squatch I have a log home on top of a ridge and spend weeks and months at a time enjoying the solitude and natural beauty around me. I do hear vehicles and sometimes the sound of a distant neighbor running his chainsaw. In the winter my wife and I sit around our fire pit and cook on the open grill and laugh about having our bathroom and comfy bed ready for us when we're ready to retire for the night. This we feel is the ultimate luxury camping. But, the urge to wander and explore is always calling. There are so many places in the Eastern Sierra and Nevada that offers us the kind of beauty and solitude that we seek. Yeah, sometimes you end up sharing places with people who aren't so quiet and for some reason just have to set up camp near you (urgghhh!). Fortunately, there's always that wonderful place we call home to come back to.

Just taking a moment break. We too are blessed to live in a remote corner off a discontinued dead end dirt road. We have a rock fire ring in the yard and think the same about our cushy camp like home. We cleared a log road 1/3 mile into the woods to a place with a nice view and drive our camper there for a stay-cation. I have since built a cabin up there almost done... it is my future rest home.

buckland said:
I like it ski3pin! You do that yourself?
buckland, this was a small limited edition run of t-shirts Patagonia did several years ago. One of my favorites. Wish I had a new one! :)

Times change. My annual Antelope Lake trip is coming up soon. Group trip and in my younger days we'd stay up till the wee hours gambling and making noise. Then one year the gambling location got moved. Too noisy said the guys at the what used to be young guys camp. It was interesting how suddenly we transitioned from being the loud youngsters to the middle age, wish they'd shut up I'm trying to sleep crowd.

You definitely have to change your expectations depending on where you camp. Lawson's landing is going to be a bit noisier than my secret camping spot. Even at Dillon there some things that will get you a visit from the sheriff though.

Totally agree with the quiet and the lights. I sometimes drive for over 20+ hours straight on my trips, never ever turn on the radio when I'm in a vehicle. I love the wide open spaces where it is so quiet that it almost hurts. Yes, so dead still and quiet that if you listen close you can hear the blood flow through your veins. Rubs me wrong even when an aircraft flies over when I'm in the outback. People and friends think it strange that I travel mostly alone to such remote areas but it feels quite normal to me. I despise organized campgrounds and the crowds and conveniences that go along with them. I'm a lot more comfortable in the wilds and alone, or with like minded people. Ron

craig333 said:
Times change. My annual Antelope Lake trip is coming up soon. Group trip and in my younger days we'd stay up till the wee hours gambling and making noise. Then one year the gambling location got moved. Too noisy said the guys at the what used to be young guys camp. It was interesting how suddenly we transitioned from being the loud youngsters to the middle age, wish they'd shut up I'm trying to sleep crowd.

You definitely have to change your expectations depending on where you camp. Lawson's landing is going to be a bit noisier than my secret camping spot. Even at Dillon there some things that will get you a visit from the sheriff though.
My friends and I used to go to Meadow Lake in our younger years and generally were the only ones there. We would set up bar, play horseshoes and poker all night, shoot skeet, kayak and fish all day and were obnoxiously loud. Then one year the forest service improved the 4wd road, put in a pit toilet and we knew it was all over and never went back. Fast forward many years and now we kayak out to an island on a remote lake for a long weekend of quiet and solitude.

Some people bring the noise with them because they can't handle quiet. I know two people for sure like that and I'm related to one of them. Yet, both like to get away from civilization. Go figure....

Elmer Fudd.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 6.17.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 6.17.24 AM.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 51
Living East of the Mississippi it is even harder to find solitude. It makes the wandering all the more rewarding when you drive. I think a spot, shut off the engine and just look at each other and listen to the crickets.....

Back
Top Bottom