R.I. P. Yuma

Sorry to hear about your dog, Craig. I remember your dog from the rally I met you at a while back. Seeing you guys with your dogs has been making me think about getting one too. I had a few pets in my life that I have lost also and it always seem to feel like an end of an era. They seem to be the ones that really only know you.

Regards,

Darryl

Since you guys never met Yuma till he was old man I'll fill you on his younger days. He was fast. I raced him against a greyhound a friend had and they tied. He could also leap. He chased a chipmunk up a tree and leaped up grabbed it. Many rodents met their end with Yuma. He was a great ratter.

He also hated cats. I took him to visit a friend when he was about four months old and their attacked him from behind. He never got over that. He once broke through my fence to attack the neighbors cat. Didn't make me real popular. We went for regular walks almost daily. Once a cat charged out of the bushes hissing and swinging its claws. I can only assume this must have worked successfully on other dogs, it didn't work on Yuma. After I got them apart I never saw that cat again.

He like to chase things camping too. I often lost him for an twenty minutes to an hour before he wandered on back. Once while we were camping along the silver fork of the american, we were cruising the Jeep around and he spotted a deer and jumped out after it. This time he didn't come back. I drove and drove and yelled and yelled but no dog. It was getting dark and I'd pretty much assumed he'd been eaten by a mountain lion but I took one more ride up the way he'd been. Sure enough, a couple miles up the road there he was walking down the road heading back to camp. There were other times I'd be looking for him only to find him sitting at the truck wondering where the heck I went.

He was an escape artist. I was raised with outdoor dogs. Dogs were allowed indoors as a treat but spent the night outside. Yuma never cared for this. He went over the fence, through the fence and under the fence. I poured concrete, used chain like and chicken wire, even tried an electronic fence that worked once only. My yard looked like a gulag but still I'd come home from work and he'd be sittiing on the porch waiting for me. I tried putting in a doggy door the garage but that wasn't enough. One night I heard a commotion at the fence and went out and he was hanging by his collar from the fence. Okay,I gotta do something. Well inside he was always well behaved so I broke down and put in another doggy door from the garage to he house. He never tried to escape again. He was happy indoors, he'd just lay down and sleep. Never chewed or did anything destructive.

Fortunately he was happy in the truck also. Not like my sisters dog who eats seat belts and head restraints.

Btw, I chose the vet sort of randomly. The two 24 hour places were about the same distance. I was very happy with the treatment I got late at night. Much better than my regular vet. So much I'm sending them a thank you card, something rarely do (though I should). If you're in sac I can recommend http://www.vcaspecialtyvets.com/sacramento-veterinary-referral-center

Funny stories Craig. I always meant to ask you about his name... Was there a connection to Yuma, AZ? I always thought it was a very unique name.

Not like my sisters dog who eats seat belts and head restraints.

Really did LOL at that one.

I understand how important it is to have a good vet at a difficult time. We had a cat that never was very friendly. Blind and suffering from liver failure, he still went down with a fight. Bit the veterinarian assistant. We brought them a big pile of brownies.

Funny stories Craig. I always meant to ask you about his name... Was there a connection to Yuma, AZ? I always thought it was a very unique name.

Actually, when it was naming time, I was stumped. I went out at and looked at a map and Yuma Az stood out and thats how it happened.

Back
Top Bottom