Rachet straps as turnbuckles?

brett13

Lovecock
Any ever think of using heavy duty rachet straps as tiedowns instead of turnbuckles? I struggle to get the turnbuckles on and was thinking about alternatives. I've seen rachet straps with S hooks rated for 4400lbs. Is that strong enough? Thoughts?

Ratchet straps

I would think the problem would be to find one small enough with hooks that would fit. Then if you did, my question would be, how strong are the hooks. The ratchet may be rated for 2 ton but I doubt the hooks are. They are also rated to hold a load in place, not usually something that is trying to pry itself off the truck every time you drive it. One last point would be that I would think that the fabric of the strap with that much constant pressure would stretch over time.

The turnbuckles have been working without a hitch for over 15 years.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:D

I would think the problem would be to find one small enough with hooks that would fit. Then if you did, my question would be, how strong are the hooks. The ratchet may be rated for 2 ton but I doubt the hooks are. They are also rated to hold a load in place, not usually something that is trying to pry itself off the truck every time you drive it. One last point would be that I would think that the fabric of the strap with that much constant pressure would stretch over time.

The turnbuckles have been working without a hitch for over 15 years.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:D

i agree with ben, it would be tough to work the ratchet too in the trap doors i would think.

I think the problem with ratchet straps is, that no matter how tight you can get them, they'll stretch, and they can only be tightened in the increments of the ratchet. Turn buckles may loosen too, but not as much as a nylon strap. Also, my camper stays on the truck full time and I find that as time goes by, the amount that I have to tighten them between inspections is becoming less and less. I think the camper is really settling in very snug to the truck.

I think the problem with ratchet straps is, that no matter how tight you can get them, they'll stretch, and they can only be tightened in the increments of the ratchet. Turn buckles may loosen too, but not as much as a nylon strap. Also, my camper stays on the truck full time and I find that as time goes by, the amount that I have to tighten them between inspections is becoming less and less. I think the camper is really settling in very snug to the truck.

ed, i too have noticed that about the turnbuckles...the system is great, simple, clean and effective.

tie down's my experiance.

to use in place of turnbuckles i would not do,but as a quick fix if you brake a eye bolt or a turnbuckle works loose they work great as a means to continue on your trip or to return home.when we were on a solo trip following the Baja race course (as i have talked about in earlier posts ) we tore 3 eye bolts out of camper.i always carry the rachet type tie downs with me,in the past i carried them to hold items on roof rack,but when i found what happened i used them by using jack mounts(we do not travel with jacks mounted)and extending them to hook on frame.taped rags to spots where they rubbed on body,finished the next two weeks in Baja until braking frame on taco,then we had to end trip hope this ads some input to the above stated remarks.drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Brett,

Well I guess I'll be the one guy that likes the idea. I am not impressed with the "dinky" turn buckles. Yes they are strong enough but a pain to manipulate through the access hatch and always seem to loosen.

I agree the problem is finding a ratchet that would fit the small area. There is no doubt that a ratchet is strong enough, way strong enough. I think most folks buy crap when it comes to tie downs. There is a huge difference in the straps you buy at Home Depot and a set of Ancra's.

Enough rambling, I like the idea. I don't think I am going to start searching the earth for some straps, but if I happen across some that I think will fit, I will surely give it a try.

Sam, a nut on each of the turnbuckles will solve the losening problem.

My turnbuckes have to be loosened to the point where they almost come apart to get them on. Once tightened, the thread barely shows through. In other words, not much slack to play with. I keep them pretty tight, but they are difficult to get on the eyebolts without direct line of sight and only one hand.

One other point about ratchet is you might over tighten it.
If you don't take the camper on and off often, give blue loc-tie a try. It should work. I use TorkLift fastgun it's spring loaded so they never become loose. :D I can see them so I don't need to check if they are loose or not. :p

more turnbuckle imput!

waiting to leave for 2 weeks in saline valley and area (leaving next tues or wens) so have time to kill.reading about rachets or turnbuckles jays answer (nuts to hold)always works there are many sizes and types of turnbuckles on the market you should always be able to find set that would work for any use (there are plenty of sources besides home depot,boat supply stores have stainless steel ones that are bullet proof .i dont like alum ones as i have noticed that they tend to stretch? threads seem to get very sloppy with lots of use. seems like rachets would require to much distance (hooks on both ends ) plus also seems like it would take two hands to install,but then again if it works i have learned something new! just my 2 cents worth. drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Back
Top Bottom