Radio

brett13

Lovecock
I'm curious, someone here must know something about shortwave. We like listening to local radio (am or fm) when out in the boonies. So I bought the Grundig G5 am/fm/sw radio which is super-sensitive in order to pick up weak signals and SW (picking up interesting SW stations would be interesting too). It has an external antenna jack, but I can't seem to figure out what kind of antenna and where to buy one. Can anyone advise? I'm new to the SW/hamradio technology stuff and its confusing. The manual says "the external antenna socket is used to connect the G5 to advanced performance shortwave antennas using 50 or 75 ohm coaxial cable feed line" - huh?:eek:

I'm curious, someone here must know something about shortwave. We like listening to local radio (am or fm) when out in the boonies. So I bought the Grundig G5 am/fm/sw radio which is super-sensitive in order to pick up weak signals and SW (picking up interesting SW stations would be interesting too). It has an external antenna jack, but I can't seem to figure out what kind of antenna and where to buy one. Can anyone advise? I'm new to the SW/hamradio technology stuff and its confusing. The manual says "the external antenna socket is used to connect the G5 to advanced performance shortwave antennas using 50 or 75 ohm coaxial cable feed line" - huh?:eek:

Here is a link to a webpage discussing "shortwave" antennas-- Build a Multiband Shortwave Antenna

"Shortwave" (SW) and "Ultra High Frequency" (UHF) are nowadays funny, silly throwbacks to a time when radios were the highest tech there was. You won't find many commercially available shortwave antennas because it is easy (and fun) to make your own.

In terms of the 50||75 Ohm cable feed line, it might refer to a BNC connector somewhere on your radio.

After thinking further, and looking at the pictures online, you might not have a BNC connector. It probably won't matter at these low frequencies whether you antenna is matched or not. The antenna connector might just be a banana jack.

short wave questin,help?

You might try C.Crane co. http://www.ccrane.com/I have bought radios and ant.from them,they seem to have the answers. If i remember right they have a free book on ant's. Might be on their site.Hope this helps.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Thanks guys. I will check that out. Any idea what this type of external antenna jack is called? My ipod headphones jack plugs into it just as it does the headphone jack to the left, but I don't know what its called in antenna terms. I've read terms like BNC, SMA, but I have no idea.
ant1.jpg

whats it called?

On the c.crane web site under antenna's its called an antenna jack!(the one in your picture is a female jack) The reason your headphone plug's(male jack) in is because they are same plugs just used for different purposes.(I think I'm right)

Drive slow and enjoy "Its the journey"
Les lqhikers

Les is correct, this is just an 1/8 jack. That makes worrying about antenna impedance unnecessary.

I wouldn't worry about an external antenna unless you get really into "DX'ing." Then you'll want to immerse yourself in antenna theory, and the connector will be just one more thing to learn about.

I am on old amatuer radio operator, WD4ONR. I have been inactive for some time. Nevertheless, I think I can safely say that a good antenna system will cost far more than the receiver you are using and they make a huge improvement in your signal. The least costly antenna would be a simple long wire, at least 100 feet long, strung up somewhere around your camp site. A wire connected to the center pole of the jack should do it. The antenna and antenna lead should not be grounded anywhere. Simpler would be a whip antenna. They really do not work very well compared to a long wire. Normally, the strongest signals are received of the sides of the wire, but much depends on how they are stung up.

As I think about this, I am sort of cool to the idea of putting up any kind of large antenna system outside the camper because so often people get accidenatlly electrocuted with external antenna systems. So, be very careful.

Back
Top Bottom