Raising Camper Height

Ericthered

I'm new to truck campers and need some help. I have read in several different forums that people have used a high density foam board to raise their truck bed height to accommodate a camper that is less deep. Which is what I would like to do too. I have a 2007 4WC Falcon pop up camper that I am going to put on my 2010 F150 Super Crew. According to the manufacturer, the truck bed will need to be raised 2" in order for the Falcon pop up camper to fit properly.
I would like to use the Owens Corning Foamular 150 (extruded polystyrene insulation) that comes in 4' x 8' x 2" sheets, that are pink in color. However, I can not find in locally. It's moisture resistant, 15 psi, and has a an R value of 10. It can be scored, cut and broken easily. Home Depot states on the web site that they carry it, but not in the local stores and you can't special order it. (Argh!) Does anyone know how I can purchase a sheet?

One of the local lumber stores carries R MAX R-Matte Plus-3 4'x 8"x 2" (blue) sheets for a similar price. It a psi of 20, R value of 13, with similar water absorption rates, but has a higher flame spread score. Has anyone used the R-Max sheets, made by Dow?

Home Depot does carry the R-Tech Foam Insulation 2" x 4' x 8' which features a poly-facer on each side for durability and flexibility and is Energy Star compliant. They are less money but I think their psi is very low, maybe a 5. I am apprehensive about the R-Tech compressing too much. Has anyone used the R-Tech for raising the height of their truck bed? If so, how did it work?

Will I need to cut the insulation to size and glue it to the bottom of my camper? Thanks for your advice!

You will need to do some more measuring.

The Falcon is a tiny camper for tiny trucks.

The F-150 has a really deep truck bed.

I'm guessing you will need at least 4" platform under the camper, if not 5"

And also some really wide camper jack extension plates to get it on the truck?

Are you going to bolt it down to the truck bed?

That was how most of those were originally installed.

Hope this helps get you ready for the process.

With a little creativity you can make it work.

Happy Camping.

Back
Top Bottom