Raising Truck from Dead

John D

Fisherman,

My camper truck comes from three dead trucks. It does not cost mega thousands to raise a truck from the dead, as you can probably attest. If you raised a truck from the dead, you are probably a Gear Head like me.

The ARB air lockers are more of less state of the art, aren’t they? How do you like them?

For now, I have chosen to go without 4WD because it saves gas and time in looking after extra mechanicals. But it keeps me from taking my wife to see some very pretty parts of Canyonlands, for example. So, I plan to rent a jeep from a livery to take her to some of those spots. If I had the off road options you have, we could go out in certain areas and camp for a week. It is a trade off.

Regarding electric windows, both side and rear glass, I don’t think a Gear Head would pay money for that option. Electric windows might be on a dead truck and I would not take them off before bringing it back to life. Nevertheless, I am glad all four of my present trucks have roll up windows. One of the dead trucks I picked clean to make my camper truck had a clean set of electric windows and locks. I chose to not use them, even though I had them for free. To add them to any truck is fairly simple because the standard under dash wiring harness has plugs for the electric windows and locks harness. The whole thing adds a separate wiring harness under the dash and in the doors. The security system is part of this extra wiring harness. It went against my Gear Head instincts to have the extra wire in my truck. I use a Denver Boot as my security system. It is not fool proof. In part, I rely on a thief thinking my 1988 truck is junk not worth stealing. Like your Ford with air lockers front and rear, it is not junk, though many would disagree.

John D

Back
Top Bottom