rally

HERR42

we should choose a place and set a date for a big get together during next year.

i dont mean yak about it and blow it off.....

we need to CHOOSE A PLACE
and SET A DATE.

....else it 'aint never going to happen is it?

As long as it's not too close to summer

Provided it's some time between mid-fall and mid-spring, I could do that. Saline Valley would be a good place too, but it's possible to get trapped there during the winter.

I was there when a monster storm hit (I think it was November), flooding and washing out roads all over So. Cal. It was very pleasant on the valley floor, just a little drizzle. The north pass had been snowed in before we got there and the south pass was washed out during that storm (and probably snowed in as well as there was some snow on the ground when we went in). The only way out was via the road to the race track. Luckily it was recently graded, but it was still an adventure in 4x4. We passed a few guys coming back down who couldn't make it with a 4x2 truck. We gave them several days of food and told them to check the wash at the bottom of the road because when we went through it the water was up to the axles and it was still raining.

The Devils Race Track was under water. It was a lake about 4-8 inches deep (maybe that's what leaves the tracks).

That was the only time I've seen water flowing in DV. At one point we went through a puddle that splashed such thick, gooey mud onto the windows that we had to pull over to clean it off. A few minutes later a tractor/trailer hit the same puddle and ended up jackknifing. All roads heading west were closed, so I stopped at the Tecopa Hot Springs while my friend continued home because he had a job interview the next day.

The following morning was beautiful - sunny and a little cool. It was a great drive home. I took several long detours to check out the snow covered mountains, etc. It wasn't until I got home and saw a newspaper that I learned of the extent of the havoc caused by that storm. It was a lot of fun for me, but brutal to many others.

As long as it's not too close to summer

Provided it's some time between mid-fall and mid-spring, I could do that. Saline Valley would be a good place too, but it's possible to get trapped there during the winter.

I was there when a monster storm hit (I think it was November), flooding and washing out roads all over So. Cal. It was very pleasant on the valley floor, just a little drizzle. The north pass had been snowed in before we got there and the south pass was washed out during that storm (and probably snowed in as well as there was some snow on the ground when we went in). The only way out was via the road to the race track. Luckily it was recently graded, but it was still an adventure in 4x4. We passed a few guys coming back down who couldn't make it with a 4x2 truck. We gave them several days of food and told them to check the wash at the bottom of the road because when we went through it the water was up to the axles and it was still raining.

The Devils Race Track was under water. It was a lake about 4-8 inches deep (maybe that's what leaves the tracks).

That was the only time I've seen water flowing in DV. At one point we went through a puddle that splashed such thick, gooey mud onto the windows that we had to pull over to clean it off. A few minutes later a tractor/trailer hit the same puddle and ended up jackknifing. All roads heading west were closed, so I stopped at the Tecopa Hot Springs while my friend continued home because he had a job interview the next day.

The following morning was beautiful - sunny and a little cool. It was a great drive home. I took several long detours to check out the snow covered mountains, etc. It wasn't until I got home and saw a newspaper that I learned of the extent of the havoc caused by that storm. It was a lot of fun for me, but brutal to many others.

RALLY - lets choose a place.

i would think that we cant start putting any number of conditions on this.

lets choose a place.

i would think that the majority of those that would participate would be the folks that would decide right?

why dont we start by asking DirtyDog for his opinion based up the fact that he can see where the users are located.

given that info we could make some adjustments...i.e. everyone is in Calif except for %20 who are in Colo,NM, etc. then we could shift over to Nevada as a location. (just an example)

lets choose a area first....then we can worry about the dates.

regarding fwc&atc ralley

sounds like a good idea,but consider the weather,we have found 1st part of november is always (almost)nice in saline valley plus there is a lot of different things to enjoy,hot springs ,mine's to explore ,time to enjoy,and from what i read on web site a lot of us spend and enjoy time there. later in the winter borrego springs state park (look it up)has a lot to offer weather mostly nice in winter and lot of spots to explore.seems like most people are pretty busy in the summer,plus spot would have to in the mountians ,or beach (crowded),just my thoughts on the idea,always open for new spots to explore in the west. drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

i do think that the location will influence our timing.

getting a good choice made is the hard part.

We'd be up for it. Anza Borrego would be easy for us. And there's Kofa NWR. If you havent been there its beautiful and very isolated once you get into it.

For warmer month's, the west side of the Inyo Mtn.s

For a warm month local, there is the west side of the Inyo Mtn.s - Harkless Flat and Inyo Flat come to mind. They're up around 7,000 to 8,000 feet, so during the warmer months are quit comfortable. However, you do need 4x4 to reach those locations which may preclude some.

Personally, I wouldn't mind heading a little further north, south or east (can't go much further west from my home) if it meant getting more of us together.

herr42's rally

everybody seems to agree that a cool spot (summer) is required Count us in for anywhere in the bishop to tahoe areas,so i say let herr42 choose a spot and see what the response is! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

I've been on several big group outings with friends I've made online from various states. The one thing that keeps most trips from happening is trying to get input from everyone regarding a time and place. Too much chit chat, not enough decision making.

The most successful and stress free trips in terms of participation, begin with someone establishing a firm date, far enough in advance and a designated location. I love the idea of a forum gathering and I would like to participate. But someone has to say, "Dates X, Y and Z - at this place, meeting at this time." Otherwise it becomes a thread with a bunch of input, and no clear itinerary.

Sadly, trying to be democratic when planning an outing to draw people from all over, seldom works. Someone has to be the dictator and lay down the dates and plan. Then others will schedule their time and plans to attend accordingly. "If you build it, they will come."

HERR42, this was your idea and a good one at that. I suggest you designate a week and place and we will all make plans based on that. And really, the location is not what determines participation. Most gatherings are about the social interaction first, the locale second.

I too would love to see this happen and I hope to attend. We've got some cool folks and nice set-ups on this board. I'd love to meet you all in person over a cold one and campfire. Oh, and I hear Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas is nice....;)

I agree

HERR42, this was your idea and a good one at that. I suggest you designate a week and place and we will all make plans based on that. And really, the location is not what determines participation. Most gatherings are about the social interaction first, the locale second.

I too would love to see this happen and I hope to attend. We've got some cool folks and nice set-ups on this board. I'd love to meet you all in person over a cold one and campfire. Oh, and I hear Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas is nice....;)

Since HERR42 started this thread, I agree that he can pick the time and place. Oh, and Besides Red Rock Canyon, there's...LOL

Yellowstone on short notice?

Not exactly a planned rally but thought I'd throw this out there for anyone that can make it. We are planning on making a quick trip to Yellowstone in September. Plan to stay at Slough Creek campground the 9th through 14th. Sorry about the short notice but this is just kind of falling together for us. Hopefully we can meet some of you there.

Ted

If you can, please keep us up to date on rally dates.

I would be gald to promote it here too !

We have seriously thought about this in years past, but it just never came together.

I can e-mail everyone (all FWC owners) we have in our database once there is a firm date, as well as post it on our website.

We might be able to help as well -- we are very open to the idea to make it a big success if we can.

sound good for now ?

Stan you read my mind!

My neighbor has a massive RV (Bounder) and he is a member of the Bounder club. A bunch of Bounder owners get together and travel around, the cool part is that the manufacturer sets up dates where they meet up with the group do a BBQ and make small repairs on the members RV's.

It would be pretty cool to see Stan/Ben at a get together and it would be cooler if they could bring some of their guys to make small repairs.

Looking at the eighteen 'pushpins' placed on the WtW 'buddymap' it appears that a possible rally|rendezvous location would be in the neighborhood of the four corners area of the Southwest.

So I'm wondering about wandering the Hole-in-the-Rock Road of the Glen Canyon National Rec Area...

That is one of the most fun drives around. Just be sure to bring a shovel and rake. The cow pies seem to be in every good camp site (BLM y'gotta love'm).
I always bring my mt. bike to ride on the slick rock too.

Back
Top Bottom