Ram Rebel

mtbxr650

Hello,

New to your website and I have to compliment your site as a great resource of information.

I am about to purchase a Ram Rebel, it seems to fit all the criteria for Daily Driver, Off Road Capable, meets my towing needs and is wife approve all wrapped in the price point I can afford.

I checked with the local FWC dealer and he says this would be a great truck to compliment the Raven. But I need to hear from the real world, And Rebels packing a FWC. And how has it been working with the 4 corner air suspension?

Thanks!

The main issue will be allowed payload (should be stated on drivers door jam) vs the actual load you plan to put in the bed and cab, etc, etc, just do your home work on this issue. I’d actually check a Rebel on the lot to see what an actual loaded truck allows!

Example: when I bought my 2015 Ram 2500 Megacab Diesel all the paperwork said I was allowed 2200 lb payload. When the truck arrived actual allowed payload, as stated on the door jam, was only 1792 lbs!

Just something to think about.

I saw a Rebel today and noticed the Sirius antenna is on the rear of the roof. The camper will cover the antenna so you may have to move it.

What the dealer will say about the weight of the truck or the amount it will carry is probably more in line with the stripped down version. As noted above, go look at the door VIN tag of a Rebel that has the same engine, transmission, 4x4 if you are ordering that, the same length bed, etc. You get the idea, the more you order from the factory, the higher the numbers go on what it weighs and the less load it will carry because of that. Get an estimate on the weight of your camper and then figure 350 lbs of people (2) and maybe 200 lbs to 300lbs of "stuff" including propane tank if not included, water, food, bedding, clothes, toys kitchen pots/pans/dishes/silverware/ etc. at the very least.

You still won't know if you are light on the front axel or heavy on the rear axle until you start weighing your rig before loading up the camper and then after loading up EVERYTHING you will need for your trip.

Hmmm...I just found that the Rebel seems to be a "1500" series, meaning it is a 1/2 ton truck. I have no idea what your camper will weigh nor do I know what all the "stuff" you will load onto weighs either, but the general consensus is that a fully kitted out camper will probably be overloading a Rebel. Forget the salesman yak and do your homework BEFORE plunking down some cash. Call the FWC factory directly to discuss the REAL weight of the camper you are interested in....

I suspect you don't have "enough truck". Most guys feel a 3/4 ton is mandatory and some opt for the 1 ton.

Even with the BIGGEST engine it can be handle under the hood, 4x4 alone adds a bunch of weight...everything lowers the capacity of the truck and while a big engine may get you to the summit, that's the easy part....getting back DOWN without burning up your brakes is everything.

I own a Rebel and will be putting our EarthCruiser MOD on it soon. I found that the auto leveling system really works well for payloads under 2000lbs. With the MOD weighing in under 800 lbs. it should carry it with ease.

Back
Top Bottom