Ram Truck Not Recommended For Slide In Camper

kmacafee said:
I was at an RV show yesterday, talking to a sales guy at a Lance Truck Camper display. All of the Lance's I saw had dry weights ranging from 1800 to 3500 pounds. When I commented that those campers would certainly need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, he responds "Hell no. Airbags on a 1/2 ton are enough."

My FWC Eagle weighs about 900 pounds dry and my Tacoma required additional leaf and air bags in back to handle the load. Its terrifying that this dealer is loading those campers on 1/2 ton trucks.
Really, a 3,500 pound camper on a half ton with airbags? Me thinks not...

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Really, a 3,500 pound camper on a half ton with airbags? Me thinks not...
Steve ,how many times have you seen huge hard sides on trucks that would seem not to be able to carry them?
I am sure my rig is over GVW by a small amount as is most of our rigs. So with all that in mind we need to use good judgment on driving. An be as safe as possible.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Steve ,how many times have you seen huge hard sides on trucks that would seem not to be able to carry them?
I am sure my rig is over GVW by a small amount as is most of our rigs. So with all that in mind we need to use good judgment on driving. An be as safe as possible.
Frank
My hard side camper is about 3,300 lbs wet, and even on a F350 one ton I get a significant pucker going while driving in the curves. I can't imagine anything that heavy on a half ton. Yes on good judgement and being as safe as possible!!! :)

Detroit is also ruled by lawyers...foreign automakers aren't far behind though.

Smaller, lighter trucks especially do not perform well when all the weight is on the rear axle and it is a "light duty'
​vehicle like a 1/2 ton.

Mark it down to safety and "CYA" from the mfgers.

Forget them for a moment and remember "due diligence" means YOU need to understand GPWR, axle GVWRs, Tire sizes, inflation, sway bars, and all that and at the end of the day....if it all adds up OK and THEN you add 32 gallons of gas @ 8 lbs and a couple more jerry cans, 20 gallons of water, food, drinks, personal items, a passenger or two, the dog and think you can STILL tow a boat behind the vehicle...then you didn't do your "due diligence" did you?

Always buy more truck than you THINK you'll need and then try to keep from overloading it. I think it is better to tow a trailer behind the truck than put too much weight on that rear axle...remember, if every car on the highway hits their high beams at you at night, your front end is riding high...because your rear end is sagging under the load.

My new 2016 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab 4x4 had the same warning about not being recommended for a slide in camper. Purchased it in Sept last year. Then I received a letter from FCA about a month ago with an updated sheet to be put in the glovebox stating that it was recommended for a slide in camper. I wonder how many were sold with that warning that were wrong.

This is where the greed comes in.... Knowing that a 1/2 ton truck owner is very unlikely to spend the money necessary to upgrade while having to put out big bucks for a camper they just plain lie about the reality of GVRW and let people who are putting their faith in them drive away in an extremely precarious situation.... It should be illegal!

Truck Camper Magazine had an article on this a while ago. Apparently, if the truck has the snow plow prep package they automatically put the "no truck camper" sticker on it.

Back
Top Bottom