Ram trucks, payload, suspension, and off-road ability

In short, nothing! The Hawk is built for the full size truck market. For those of us who own a Toyota Tundra, 2000-2006, we were cursed with shallow truck beds. The bed height on these Tundra's are ~17", from the floor to the bed rail. The Hawk is made for trucks with a deeper bed height, floor to the bed rail. That said, the Hawk fits nicely on these Tundra's, but they sit high, exposing ~4-5" of the camper's exterior side wall and also showing the cab over sitting ~4-5" above the truck cab.

FWC's had a brilliant solution....build a camper that will fit nicely for the 1st generation Tundra's. They called it the Kestrel. Basically, the same as a Hawk, (width/length), except the lower walls on the Kestrel camper are ~4-5" shorter, therefore sitting ~1" above the bed rail and "not" 4+ inches above the rail as it does on mine. I do not think a Kestrel will fit in today's newer trucks unless you build up the height, so the camper will clear the bed rail. So, I installed my Hawk onto my 2002 Tundra and used the ~4-5" space above the rails for storage (installed 4" PVC pipe for long items, fishing and awning poles )...I see some Hawk owners with 1 generation Tundra's who are fine with this space.

When I bought my Hawk camper in 2012, I had a future plan to upgrade to a full size truck. That day has come:) When I receive my new Ram, I will simply slide her into the bed. The camper will clear the bed rail ~1-2". I intend to attach one of my 4" PVC pipes onto my roof rack.

Hope this helps...

Does this make the door of the Kestrel ~4-5" shorter as well? That would drastically affect ease of in/egress no?

When considering going to a 1 ton truck, you may want to check with your DMV about registration. In some states a 1 ton is considered a commercial vehicle and registration is a lot more.

You guys must be carrying a boat load more stuff than I do. I do ok with my 1/2ton Dakota (4.7L) with a Eagle on it but we're no where 2000lbs of camper. Sure, the FWC/ATC's for full size trucks weigh more, but not that much more. It could be the extra beer you are carrying I guess :)

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/prospector

Pretty much the ultimate set up. Add some custom spring/weight valved 2.5" body shocks, 4.10 gears and 37" Toyo tires. Maybe not orange in color :oops: I've had quite a few 3/4 ton Dodge setups and unless you're running a big Lance or the like, it's plenty of truck for a pop up camper with little modification, sometimes too much is too much. Currently have an older 2500 with a Northstar with Kore suspension and lightened rear leaf pack and it rides beautiful with 8-10lbs in the 14" travel hellwig air bags.

Back
Top Bottom