Random acts of kindness

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
This morning I dropped by the neighborhood bakery to get some breakfast. I ordered a scone and then discovered I didn't have my wallet on me. I looked for it in the car and returned to inform the worker that I'm sorry but I had to pass as I had forgotten my wallet. As I was starting to drive away an older woman ran out and waved me down, and offered to buy my scone for me. I was extremely touched by this random act of kindness and it got me thinking.

Times are tough and money is tight for just about everyone. But it costs nothing to perform a small act of kindness for a stranger or to just show a little empathy for a person down on their luck. You'll make the world a tiny bit better and you'll feel good about it to. It's a win-win situation.

Pass it on :)

Whenever I can act based on "what's best" rather than "what's best for me", then I'm doing the right thing.
smile.gif

Yes, it goes against natural instincts -- that's OK. Now I just need to follow that belief...as much as I can.

It is never ever the wrong time to do the right thing. There really are way too many just taking up time and space. We're supposed leave the world better for our being here.

This morning I dropped by the neighborhood bakery to get some breakfast. I ordered a scone and then discovered I didn't have my wallet on me. I looked for it in the car and returned to inform the worker that I'm sorry but I had to pass as I had forgotten my wallet. As I was starting to drive away an older woman ran out and waved me down, and offered to buy my scone for me. I was extremely touched by this random act of kindness and it got me thinking.

Times are tough and money is tight for just about everyone. But it costs nothing to perform a small act of kindness for a stranger or to just show a little empathy for a person down on their luck. You'll make the world a tiny bit better and you'll feel good about it to. It's a win-win situation.

Pass it on :)

DD - You are right on! A few years ago, a professor at Bakersfield College in California started a campain where he asked everyone he met to perform one random act of kindness each day. He printed up bumper stickers, took out ads in the newspaper and spoke at many civic functions. The movement grew large enough that he was invited onto the Oprah Winfree Show. As you stated, things like the lady did for you cost little or nothing, but have a major impact on the recipient. Thanks for mentioning this on WTW - Best, Richard

Carma, I always give someone getting on the road a break. I have had the favor returned. My daughters leaned by example. The older daughter going over the Bay Bridge noticed someone trying to get on and no one giving him a break to get in. She stopped and let him on. At the toll gate she was told the car she let on had paid her toll. Sure made her day.

Bill in Stockton

Carma, I always give someone getting on the road a break. I have had the favor returned. My daughters leaned by example. The older daughter going over the Bay Bridge noticed someone trying to get on and no one giving him a break to get in. She stopped and let him on. At the toll gate she was told the car she let on had paid her toll. Sure made her day.

Bill in Stockton

Bill I had that some thing happen to me on the bay bridge.I still believe that there is more good about all of us than the bad we hear about day after day.Karma always has a way of working it's way back.Good or bad.

Frank

Man I miss Oregon and the nice people. Since I took this job in Kentucky I really do not see people go out of their way to do something nice for anyone else. When I go out of my way to help someone here I rarely even get a thank you. ugh

Having been an Angelino most of my life and a Californian all of my life I must say the people here in Tucson are absolutely the nicest and most courteous I've ever run across. They can't drive worth **** but they are really really nice people. Of course they're all packin' heat.

Back
Top Bottom