Ranger Jump Seats...

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
Have any of the Ranger owners removed the jump seats from their extended cab trucks? Hoyden has me thinking about making a small platform behind the front seats.

Pictures? Ideas?

We still have ours. I was just looking at removing just for weight savings. We work very hard at resisting temptation to take more stuff with us so will not add platform, etc. to facilitate more stuff. :)

ski3pin said:
We still have ours. I was just looking at removing just for weight savings. We work very hard at resisting temptation to take more stuff with us so will not add platform, etc. to facilitate more stuff. :)
I was thinking of gear under, fur baby on top. Salty, Dog of the Desert needs to ride in AC comfort.

I left mine in... for this area behind the front seats. In fact my dogs are small and I used the tops of the jump seats as a support for my storage unit. You may have a large dog and want the top lower.

img_149408_0_68f4f78e6059789d3104e5b5dffb3435.jpg

And, I built this removable unit for both storage and a top platform for the Jack Russell and the Min-Pin.

img_149408_2_8855fa512e0aff78511f2a7786178bb6.jpg

Notice open cut out on top of unit in above photo and in the below photo a cover panel to make a flat platform.
I wanted access to the storage where the stock screw jack was located. I removed the screw jack as I carry a bottle jack and a Hi-Lift.

img_149408_4_cf02b891efc506a1f0e02d850f4a362e.jpg

When designing this unit I just measured the angle of the front seats and the distance back of the front seats that I normally have them at and calculated distances for my scale drawing plans. When this storage unit is in place the seats can't recline any farther or go back any farther.

img_149408_6_bc8b26d4d7eee183696c89f909881335.jpg

img_149408_8_dc83f611c67baed8e9c95ff78b65df77.jpg

The very bottom of the storage unit goes all the way across, side to side, for long items.

img_149408_10_561baea40960cecf212ff58320cf0771.jpg

The dogs get a nice view, all around from their platform. I drive very conservatively, i.e., I go slow and don't follow anyone closely. I'm in no hurry and want the best gas mileage I can get. I've been thinking about making some "clip in" attachment points for the dogs as they are always wearing their body harness, however, I haven't either thought up the right concept or found what I'm looking for yet.

img_149408_13_b356f63c38f040f9ad230b62a97c59fd.jpg

Center section open to the front for things we might want to get at while driving, or at least don't want to exit the vehicle and open the rear doors, like see-mores, dog water bowl and water, etc.

img_149408_15_e2026702b8cc13f4b796e602f7d061c7.jpg

Storage of items in the area where the stock screw jack was previously stored by Ford (cover removed to see items).

img_149408_17_1e9f5af7204f1ba6d6c2c8bac0f7fc3b.jpg

Alley-Kat, that is nicely done, I really like it, but my pup is a lanky 65 pounds. I might copy (plagiarism is a sincere form of flattery) your first level. Because I'm 6'2" and The Bride is just 5'4", I can scoot the seat up and make the passenger side a bit bigger.

Thanks for sharing!!

Here's what I made for our Tacoma (and our golden retriever). It's a simple platform out of plywood and a 1x8 covered in auto carpet:
IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

It's a good place for the dog to hang out. We don't use it to increase our gear capacity but it does work well while we are camped for storing stuff that is in the camper while we are driving. There is another version for when we use the footwell water tank. You can see a few more pictures here: http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2012/06/our-new-camper.html

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Alley-Kat, that is nicely done, I really like it, but my pup is a lanky 65 pounds. I might copy (plagiarism is a sincere form of flattery) your first level. Because I'm 6'2" and The Bride is just 5'4", I can scoot the seat up and make the passenger side a bit bigger.

Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah anything is possible. Make it the way you want it. I thought you may have a larger dog, so, lower would be good. You may want to think about building in a spot to carry a dog ramp for when your pup gets too old to jump up into the back.

If you can "dado" the wood joints and use a good glue (I use yellow carpenter's glue) with brad style nails it can be a very strong unit. I can sit on top of mine when it's out of the truck. I weigh about 175 lbs.

We've had the seats out and a simple plywood platform for a few years now, and really like the extra carrying capacity. Ally-Kat, you have taken it to the next level . . . great job! Like Sagebrush above, I too may plagiarize your idea and build a compartmentalized unit for organizational purposes. Thanks for sharing your photos.

I did a similar thing back when I had a ranger. In my '96 model the seats folded up to the sides and faced each other. I just wanted a flat surface so only did a single level. Allowed me to hide an amp and a few other things fairly well underneath and was still able to fold down one side to sit one person uncomfortably :)

ranger_backseat.jpg

All some very good storage ideas. Love seeing a jl sub included. Great sounding tunes are always a welcome addition to any truck I've ever owned.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Mr. Sage, did you end up removing your jump seats? I just did. I was surprised how large and heavy the mounting frame is and am pleased with the increased storage - but we are not adding any additional gear. It took about 20 minutes to do both sides with a 13 mm socket and large torx bit for the seat belt anchor bolts.

ski3pin said:
Mr. Sage, did you end up removing your jump seats? I just did. I was surprised how large and heavy the mounting frame is and am pleased with the increased storage - but we are not adding any additional gear. It took about 20 minutes to do both sides with a 13 mm socket and large torx bit for the seat belt anchor bolts.
I was waiting to see how things filled/packed when going out on an extended trip, but after your report (and the rapidly increasing size of Fritz, Dog of the Desert), I think I will go ahead and pull them out.

Thanks for the update!

Well, Mr 3pin inspired me to remove the jump seats. The job took him 20 minutes, the first seat took me an hour and 20 minutes. It started with a 20 minute struggle getting the seat and back to separate from one another, followed by an instant realization that it wasn't necessary. After pulling the seat bolts, I discovered my large Tork tip wasn't really 'large', so it was of to the local NAPA for a T 45 instead of a T 40. I'm probably into it for nearly an hour by now. The next 15ish minutes was spent looking for my longest 3/8 extension so I could apply my new T 45 torx tip to the seatbelt bolt, with 5 minutes to pull it and remove the blasted seat. Dang, every day's a holiday, every meal a banquet.

The other seat came out in 10 minutes, proving that geezers are still capable of learning (sometimes :p ).

And yes, there's a lot more room now.

10 minutes x 2 = 20 minutes :)

I have a compete set of torx bit sockets and several 3/8" extensions in the tool box in the garage right next to the truck. My nemesis was that push in pin holding the plastic trim. BFFI with a large diagonal cutter, 1 to 1.5 seconds each. :)

Years ago I was helping a handyman friend and we had an afternoon much as you described Mr. Sage. I wanted to get mad, my friend remained cool as can be. Finally I had to ask, "Why aren't you upset?"
"I'm a handyman," My friend answered. "It is always like this."

I used a large common screwdriver on the pins, both went quickly in the scheme of things. That stupid plastic latch between the seat and seat back was my real embarrassment...

I had pulled out the seats of my 06 when we got the Bobcat mounted.
Nice room but when it came time to change trucks to the 02 Tundra I had to replace every thing I removed
After 2 years out of the truck it took a bit more time to replace. Plus I was on a quick time to get the truck back together
so I could trade it for the Tundra.

The space was great .Made it easier to store clothes. No real extra gear just a great way to organize everything.
Frank

Good work Mr. Sage. You will like having the space and the difficulties will soon be forgotten.

I'm remembering removing the seats from the Tacoma- took awhile. I kept all the parts that I removed for some unknown time in the future as Frank says. I'm not at all sure I could get them all back in after all the time that has passed. We love the space it gives us.

Hi there, I may have missed the boat on your thread, but I upgraded the back of my extra cab Tacoma. I left the jumper seats in there, but built a hinged platform for the dogs, tons of room below for my tools.

gallery_6117_1048_80358.jpg

gallery_6117_1048_272885.jpg

gallery_6117_1048_404940.jpg

gallery_6117_1048_438085.jpg

gallery_6117_1048_382479.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom