Ranger on a Short Bed Tacoma V6

donpedro said:
Hey Cort,
I think I lost my 1st response to you as I'm new at this. Anyhow, posted some pix on gallery (Fleet). That is the model we have on our '02/xcab/5spd/V-6 Taco and I think it's the basic footprint you are dealing with, just that it's a late 80's camper. It comes back to the end of dropped tailgate when loaded on the truck, about 8' camper box length. I'm no expert, but ours is set up with Old Man Emu (med. ) springs all around and airbags. This seemed to minimize any over squatting when encountering sudden bad sections on roads. I think it rides well with the front beefed too-much better than stock Taco mush-hell it's gonna feel like a load of gravel no matter what. I don't feel that it is sketchy maneuvering, but again this is a load for the Taco with all extra gear for a month on the Baja, etc.

I can tell you we've done maybe 30k+ in this setup just with Mexico trips, plus easily 20k more in the States and it has worked great. Lots of backroad stuff, lots of gear. Oh yeah, there is one pic of previous set up -a modified 6' Hawk. The 8' never has felt arse-heavy to me-tires don't wear funny, and we hang a 2nd spare for long outback trips so even more leverage that has not caused any issues. (16''BFG-e load). Well that's probably 3 cents worth. Bueno, Pete

Howdy

A Hawk cannot be mounted on a Tacoma because of the narrow width between wheel wells.

The rear tailgate width might also be a limiting factor.

Finally. the weight of an equipped Hawk would be too much for the Tacoma.

That is why FWC/ATC make the smaller campers.

Did you have an idea of trying to make a Hawk fit ?

David Graves

dgknows said:
Hey Cort,
I think I lost my 1st response to you as I'm new at this. Anyhow, posted some pix on gallery (Fleet). That is the model we have on our '02/xcab/5spd/V-6 Taco and I think it's the basic footprint you are dealing with, just that it's a late 80's camper. It comes back to the end of dropped tailgate when loaded on the truck, about 8' camper box length. I'm no expert, but ours is set up with Old Man Emu (med. ) springs all around and airbags. This seemed to minimize any over squatting when encountering sudden bad sections on roads. I think it rides well with the front beefed too-much better than stock Taco mush-hell it's gonna feel like a load of gravel no matter what. I don't feel that it is sketchy maneuvering, but again this is a load for the Taco with all extra gear for a month on the Baja, etc.

I can tell you we've done maybe 30k+ in this setup just with Mexico trips, plus easily 20k more in the States and it has worked great. Lots of backroad stuff, lots of gear. Oh yeah, there is one pic of previous set up -a modified 6' Hawk. The 8' never has felt arse-heavy to me-tires don't wear funny, and we hang a 2nd spare for long outback trips so even more leverage that has not caused any issues. (16''BFG-e load). Well that's probably 3 cents worth. Bueno, Pete
Looks like you have already checked out the posts from 2010.
Good info for you.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom