Ratchet Straps for Tie Down Safe?

Mountain Nomad said:
So, apparently ratchet straps are not the way to go...
Folks do realize that many tractor trailer loads are secured by ratchet straps. Buy or borrow a set that has the capacity you need. A $12 set at home depot has a breaking strength of 1500#s and a working load of 500#s. If you encounter a condition that would break the ratchet straps on your way home, chances are your truck and camper will be toast anyhow. I wouldn't be surprised if a ratchet strap of good quality pulled your camper apart before breaking..

Ratchet strap will be fine for bringing your camper home or to a dealer. My point was the straps should have more than enough strength to hold the camper down. You wouldn't put near the 500 pound load on each strap when loading the camper, and to exceed it's 1500# breaking strength, you would probably have to be involved in an accident or rollover. That's what I meant about your truck and camper being toast.

Before we bought our FWC, we were planning on buying a used Hawk. We knew we wanted the side dinette, so we were able to have FWC install tie downs and wiring in our truck for a side dinette, so that we would be ready to buy one when it came up. Of course, while waiting in the showroom for the tie downs/wiring, we decided to order a custom one. At that stage, it was made clear to us that different floor plans of Hawks have different tie down locations.

Since then, we have a new truck. When I made the appointment to have the tie downs and wiring installed, I mentioned to the service department that it was a side dinette Hawk. The service guy said that they needed to know that for the wiring location, but he did not mention the tie downs.

This was all in the last 6 months, at FWC in Woodland. My take: something is specific to the floor plans, but I am not sure if it is the wiring, the tie downs, or both.

My camper has been attached with ratchet straps for almost ten years. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna fall off..

I brought my used Hawk home in an 8 foot bed using some straps sourced at Harbor Freight.The first few corners were a bit unnerving, but it all seemed to work. Although I only needed to drive 15-20 miles, I could have gone further with no problems.
P1010764r.JPGP1010765r.JPGP1010758r.JPG

I made a spacer from scrap bits to keep the camper from sliding forward in event of emergency braking, and left the tailgate on.

My Hawk was originally built for an aftermarket utility bed, so it was a bit short on my new super duty! I built a spacer from 2x4's to raise it a bit, drilled a bunch of holes in the new bed, and went camping!
P1010771r.JPGP1010774r.JPGP1010782r.JPGP1010784r.JPG

The old F250 had to watch while I did all this, and was then sold. Long May You Run! :(
P1010789r.JPGP1030717r.JPG

Wow, that is tight on the roof clearance. You may want more than that. I checked my roof clearance by using rhino ramps and putting them under opposite corners of the truck, in order to really twist the chassis and make sure it didn't touch.

wuck, great post and pics !

You gotta do what you gotta do, and get on with it. Which you did.

As for the Old Girl, I know what you mean, sad to see them go. Gone but never forgotten. :)

Vic Harder said:
Wow, that is tight on the roof clearance. You may want more than that. I checked my roof clearance by using rhino ramps and putting them under opposite corners of the truck, in order to really twist the chassis and make sure it didn't touch.
Pic was before spacer was added, first mount to see how things fit. The sagging bedboard actually kissed the cab roof at that point. Between the 2x4 spacer and the eventual bedboard replacement (Oh yeah, Vic remembers that!) I had over 2" of clearance.

klahanie said:
wuck, great post and pics !

You gotta do what you gotta do, and get on with it. Which you did.

As for the Old Girl, I know what you mean, sad to see them go. Gone but never forgotten. :)
My Dad's old truck, a bit more sentimental than another old truck. But, I don't miss 10 MPG, the freaking carburetor, lack of A/C, 4WD, and overdrive. My wife doesn't miss any of it :) Thanks Klahanie . . .

I've used ratchet straps for years (only as needed) without any problems.

When the truck I have at the time does not have the eye bolts installed, I could always find a way to strap it down.

I will usually try and attach 2 turn buckles inside the front of the truck bed (from the camper mounting brackets to the front factory tie down hooks that are in the front of most truck beds these days). I say "try" because it is not always possible.

And in addition to that, I will bring 4 good ratchet straps.

In the front of the camper I will usually use ratchet straps from the front jack brackets, to under the truck to the frame somewhere.

And in the rear, from the rear jack brackets to the rear bumper somewhere.

Sometimes you will need to get a little creative on where to hook everything.

Then I drive slow and safe, and take it easy on the way home. Hasn't failed me yet.

(Note: I would NOT suggest putting straps over the entire camper roof to hold the camper in the truck bed. There would be a good chance you will bend the roof trim or damage the roof frame).

I've always wondered about this. Phoenix campers are similar in design to FWC (shared lineage) and some models weigh more than my Hawk. They ONLY use ratchet straps and use the factory bed hooks for a connection. I know on my GMC, those hooks are rated for 500lbs per connector. See this on their FAQ page: We have an exclusive ratchet strap tie down system that utilizes your trucks OEM storage loops inside of your truck bed..

Straps should be fine is your have them properly secrured to both the camper and the truck. Really all depends on distance as well. The reality is a camper will be like any other load you would strap down in a truck. Be cautious and use your gut. Check the straps often and don’t throw one over the roof. Ha

Hello Everyone,
I really appreciate all of your stated experience, insight, advice, etc. I have not spoken to Stan at FWC yet, as we are playing phone tag.
After reading all of the dialogue, looking at other sites for more information, etc. I believe the best thing for me to do is decide on a side dinette because it seems there are more of these out there as used or at least older used compared with the front dinettes. With this side dinette decision, I can get the eyebolts and such installed so when a side dinette shows up on the forum for sale, then I will be prepared to pick it up.

I am a newbie to the truck bed camper world and I don't trust myself with tying a camper down safely with ratchet straps, jury rigging anything, and the like. I also can't depend on the seller doing it for me. And since I might end up driving it 100's or maybe 1000 miles or so, I need to do it safely. So, now I hope an appointment to schedule the installation of the eyebolts isn't too far ahead on the calendar. I already have to wait 4 more weeks for air bags to be installed.

Thanks a bunch,
Lisa

Sorry about the confusion for some of you with my initial post. Yes, I am looking to buy a used Hawk camper and that is what I meant when I said, "... when the right one surfaces for sale..." And yes, I will take it to a professional installer to install it. In the meantime, I am scheduling an appointment with them to get my 2018 Tundra ready for the used Hawk camper with the eyebolts installation as well as airbags. However, the differences in the weight from one used camper for sale to another used camper for sale might be an issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old Crow----Thanks for your post. I did speak to Dana about the standard eyebolts-and-turnbuckles installation, but need to speak to her again about the horse mat and the height of my truck bed sides, the differences in weight I could run into with the various used Hawk campers that will appear for sale on the forum. and scheduling an appointment for a standard eyebolts-and-turnbuckles installation. I do plan on obtaining a rubber horse mat to put under the camper, if necessary.

Thanks!

Stan@FourWheel said:
(Note: I would NOT suggest putting straps over the entire camper roof to hold the camper in the truck bed. There would be a good chance you will bend the roof trim or damage the roof frame).
Oops, busted!

Thanks Stan :)

Back
Top Bottom