Razorback Football and renting a truck camper

breeves2245

I need some advice on a trip I am planning to put together next Sept. Do not own any RV, but have been researching and reading about truck campers the last couple of years. Retiring in four years and would like to tour the Western US for a while in a truck camper. Probably a pop up, since it will be only me.

I live in Arkansas and when I saw Colorado St on our football schedule, I figured what a great opportunity to test out camping and driving a truck camper and visit the area. I can fly into Denver a few days before the game and rent a truck camper from Cruise America. One of the few locations that rent this combo. It's the Ford 150 with a modified Lance. Camp maybe Wed to Sat, return the rig and then go to the game.

Question - Colorado St is in Fort Collins, about an hour north of Denver. What would be an easy itinerary to maybe hit a few camping areas for some hiking, fishing, etc.? Don't want to do a lot of driving since my time frame is relatively short. Also want to work in some micro brewery tours, but I can handle that one myself.

What exact time of year is the game scheduled for? Later in the football season, higher elevations in the Front Range and the Medicine Bows may be closed out due to snow. Within Rocky Mountain NP, Trail Ridge Road can close for snow (for short periods) in any month since it reaches +12,000' elevation. I imagine the RMNP website can estimate average full (for the duration) closing dates for Trail Ridge Road. The websites and headquarter offices for the Routt-Medicine Bow NF in CO/WY and the Arapaho NF in CO can likely supply info for higher elevation trails and roads in their jurisdictions.

I'd just snag a CO and a WY Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas (around $25 each) and start daydreaming.

Foy

Given you don't yet have a camper, you may want to spend some of your time visiting Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Campers in Arvada, Hallmark RV in Fort Lupfer, and Outfitter RV in Longmont. They're between Denver and Fort Collins and not far from Rocky Mountain National Park.

Also-- I'd think one of your challenges on that trip could be keeping your batteries charged in that rental truck camper. You have to very careful about how you use and replenish battery power if you plan to overnight off the grid.

This comes to mind as there are no hookups in Rocky Mountain National Park campgrounds and I see Cruise America's truck campers have a microwave, furnace, and three-way fridge... all potential battery-eaters. Depending on how you use those appliances and how much you run the truck's charging system, you may find the batteries run way down at an inopportune time.

I see their truck campers don't have generators (according to this page) so that's not an option. You may want to stay in campgrounds with electrical hookups. (There are commercial campgrounds with power outside (and near to) the park.)

In any case, keep an eye on the batteries!

That is some great advice about the batteries and I didn't even think about visiting the dealers you mentioned. My research over the years keeps bringing me back to FourWheel, Hallmark and Northstar. So I can visit two of the three while I'm there. None available around me, so I will definitely take advantage of that.

Back
Top Bottom