rear awning part dux

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
I put out a thread last year asking about using a cargo cover from my ford escape as a rear awning. Didn't get any responses so I shelved the idea. Now we hear that Stan "might" offer a rear awning. This got me to thinking again about using my cover.

I first tried mounting it to the roof rack but with the top up it was much to high to do any good. I was trying to keep from drilling holes in the camper frame but came to the conclusion that ,that would be the only way to make it work.

The "brackets" i used to hold the cover in place I made from the same aluminum stock I used on my canoe rack. I have several feet of it left over from a greenhouse room added to my house years ago.

The brackets are through bolted and sealed .Than the cover assembly is held on to the brackets with hose clamps of the proper size.The supports are made of 1/2" thick wall pvc pipe with all fittings cemented together.

To deploy the awning I just insert the side pipe holders into the holes in the brackets and pull out the awning.The ends of the cover that would have clipped into the slot on the car fit into elbows and I can use a bunggie to hold the cover side to side.

I wouldn't use this in the snow it's only for rain and maybe a sun shade.

This awning could be made for a song. The cargo cover could be picked up from a salvage yard for next to nothing or you might have one laying around like I had.

Hope this inspires some other do-it-your selfers.

Frank

I put out a thread last year asking about using a cargo cover from my ford escape as a rear awning. Didn't get any responses so I shelved the idea. Now we hear that Stan "might" offer a rear awning. This got me to thinking again about using my cover.

I first tried mounting it to the roof rack but with the top up it was much to high to do any good. I was trying to keep from drilling holes in the camper frame but came to the conclusion that ,that would be the only way to make it work.

The "brackets" i used to hold the cover in place I made from the same aluminum stock I used on my canoe rack. I have several feet of it left over from a greenhouse room added to my house years ago.

The brackets are through bolted and sealed .Than the cover assembly is held on to the brackets with hose clamps of the proper size.The supports are made of 1/2" thick wall pvc pipe with all fittings cemented together.

To deploy the awning I just insert the side pipe holders into the holes in the brackets and pull out the awning.The ends of the cover that would have clipped into the slot on the car fit into elbows and I can use a bunggie to hold the cover side to side.

I wouldn't use this if in the snow it's only for rain and maybe a sun shade.

Hope this inspires some other do-it-your selfers.

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4019.jpg
    DSCN4019.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN4021.jpg
    DSCN4021.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCN4022.jpg
    DSCN4022.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCN4023.jpg
    DSCN4023.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN4024.jpg
    DSCN4024.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 185
Sorry about the three posts to get pictures.They don't seem to want to load.

Attachments

• DSCN4011.jpg
    DSCN4011.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN4012.jpg
    DSCN4012.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCN4013.jpg
    DSCN4013.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN4014.jpg
    DSCN4014.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN4015.jpg
    DSCN4015.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN4018.jpg
    DSCN4018.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 178
Nice, compact rear awning, Frank. Thanks for the idea!

I need to add that this awning is only for keeping rain away from the door when entering. I carry a 8'x8' pop up canopy to use over the camp table area or any other weather use.It really came in handy when we were tent camping in Alaska in 09.

Frank

Me like Me like.
Nice idea. Will add that to those slowly turning gears between the ears and hope to come up with something (unless FWC or someone else does first)

Thanks!

Dave in Seattle

I need to add that this awning is only for keeping rain away from the door when entering. I carry a 8'x8' pop up canopy to use over the camp table area or any other weather use.It really came in handy when we were tent camping in Alaska in 09.

Frank

I had some different ideas about the "frame" to hold the awning in the out position. After trying to find a out of the way space to store the "frames" I changed the design. This one is what I feel is the best I came up with. I got rid of the original ones and started over.All the time I had wanted something that was simple and could be set up in a snap.
The new "frames" use threaded 1/2 fittings instead of the glue together ones.Now the "frames" swivel out of the way when not in use so I don't have to find some place to store them.Set up is so easy and simple,just rotate the arms out and pull the awning out to fit into the end holders.I feel this project is a simple one that most owners could do them selves,and the cost is a whole lot cheaper than a factory awning.

Good luck,hope this is a help to anyone wanting a simple awning.

Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4025.jpg
    DSCN4025.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN4026.jpg
    DSCN4026.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN4027.jpg
    DSCN4027.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 154

Back