Rear Bumper Extension

Kokopelli

With some of the campers extending a bit beyond the rear bumper, has anyone come up with a "bumper extension" to bring the bumper out beyond the camper? Some sort of clamp on addition that's easy to take off when you're not using the camper.

For those moments when you just "might" back into something, or when someone bumps into you in a parking space, etc. Seems like it could save damage to the camper - hate to have some idiot smack the camper in a parking lot or something just because the bumper didn't extend far enough.

Thanks!

Sorry, I am no help except to be a smart a$$.

...camper in a parking lot...

Hmm, parking lot in the forest or desert? ;)

Oxymoron: A camper in a parking lot. :rolleyes:

Mike

I've been thinking about unbolting my rear bumper, adding spacers and bolting the bumper back on.

But then, as long as I'm going to the trouble of making spacers that look OK as well as do something, I may as well just make some sort of extended bumper.

Good topic, Kokopelli

It would be nice to build a custom bumper with a removable or fold up step... perhaps even adjustable depending where you end up being parked. Hmm...

I would think fabricating something that would go into a reciever hitch that would serve as a step and bumper combo would be the best option.
Just my .02

I don't see to many guys extended their rear bumper.

But I do know that customers do it from time to time.

Here is a picture of a guy the put a Grandby Model on a short bed truck and did make an extended bumper.

It looks pretty good and he make a grey water storage PVP pipe in front of it with the extra space that was there.

Attachments

• shell with grey water.jpg
    shell with grey water.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 654
  • shell with AC.jpg
    shell with AC.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 583
Looks like those Rhino models are good for a step but if you need protection they would need to be trussed to do any good.

I think I need to make a step that fits in the receiver for mine. It would need to be removed for off road because I drag the hitch receiver on steep departure angle. I have a Renuel front and rear bumper made out of ¼” steel with ½" steel mounting brackets. I had them make longer reach for the rear and worked great when I had the older Fleet FWC. Now the Ranger FWC sticks out further and I too often think about protection.

I could do a longer reach but with being that long need to weld up some trusses to beef it up but then I would drag even more on departure. If I know in advance I un-bolt and remove the reciever. Been ok since 2001 so maybe let the wheels turn for a solution a while longer.

Attachments

• DSC01093.JPG
    DSC01093.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 438
  • BackView.jpg
    BackView.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 460
hitch extension and steps

www.crbrophy.com
these guys make a nice USA made hitch extension and double step that is adjustable in length.
sean www.go-anywhere.us
your midwest source for FWCampers

Back
Top Bottom