Rear Steps

Timothy McGowen

Getting ready to purchase some rear scissor steps. Looking at the Brophy's. Just trying to decide what cost/weight ratio I want to go with.

Looking for opinions, which do you use?

18" or 24"

Steel or aluminum?

Thanks folks.

Have you looked at the Easy Hitch Step yet ?

http://easyhitchstep.com/

We did some field testing and it came through with flying colors.

(we used the 2-step version)

Slides into your hitch receiver, and you are done.

Just a thought.

I have personally found the last step on the aluminum accordion steps to be too tall (too high), making it a bit hard for a bigger guy to get in & out of the small FWC rear camper door.

I picked up a used 4 step 18" brophy in alum a couple yrs ago and now I'm used to it I like it. I liked my ladder for yrs too. I think the size and added safety of stairs are worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I just don't like the idea of giving up my receiver for steps. I want the option of having it at all times.

Yea, I need my receiver for towing. I have "came with my used camper" brand scissor steps (4 steps). Never liked the look of them but now that I've used them I like 'em.

Tim, we had that Brophy 2-step and needed a basket for our gear. The 2-step (steel) was heavy and took up too muh space in the basket. It sits in the garage. We bought the Rubbermaid 2-step ladder similar to what FWC sells. We are pleased with the switch. You can get the 2-step from Walmart and Camping World.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Stalking Light said:
I've tried several step options and the Rubbermaid one works best for me too.
Me three.
Low price (only around 20 bucks), has two steps, stable with its big feet and lightweight. Liked it so much I bought a second one to use around the homestead.

Stalking Light said:
I've tried several step options and the Rubbermaid one works best for me too.

Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West
Apparently it works the best in the house for my wife too. She won't let me have that one. I really like the old model we have better than the ones they make now. She noticed it was gone when I just took it out to the driveway to test it. Can't get anything by her.

I use the hitch stair similar to the one Stan linked to. I don't leave it in traveling; take it off and stick it in the camper. My beagle can get in and out of the camper with ease (not so with those accordion or the plastic Rubbermaid steps). When camped for a while I use a home made hitch tightener, which makes it rock solid.

jim

For what it's worth lots of home made options too. Spare parts made my step plus my bumper has its own built in step. My 6 year old has no problem getting in and out and I find it really simple as well. ImageUploadedByWander The West1472267409.017428.jpg

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Timothy McGowen said:
Getting ready to purchase some rear scissor steps. Looking at the Brophy's. Just trying to decide what cost/weight ratio I want to go with.

Looking for opinions, which do you use?

18" or 24"

Steel or aluminum?

Thanks folks.
I've used 18's for 17 yrs now. It's all the width I've needed to date. The Brophy's are well built.

I have the TorkLift GlowSteps on my 2014 Hawk. They're super easy to install and use. Very stable.

Dagwood said:
I have the TorkLift GlowSteps on my 2014 Hawk. They're super easy to install and use. Very stable.

I have the GlowSteps on my Hawk as well and I use them when I am going to be camped for a few days. On a daily basis I use an aluminum folding step that I keep in the camper. Works fine.

The best unexpected bonus I discovered when I bought my 2016 F150 is the integrated tailgate step. I always leave my tailgate on (makes nice porch seat) when I have my hawk on and the step and hand rail are in the perfect spot to help me or the wife step into the camper. It has a hinged section that took my dog a couple of times to figure out but now I have one less thing I can carry with me!

This photo is before I upgraded my Eagle to a Hawk, but you get the idea.

jXyeE5o.jpg

We use the Brophy scissor steps and find them very easy. We got the steel ones because of cost, and they can be heavy, but not bad. They fit nicely on the floor just inside the door. They are the first thing out and last thing in when unloading or loading. Work great for us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom