Rear Suspension Airbags

Doff

Advanced Member
We finally bought our truck (F250) and we ordered out Camper today from FWC....very excited! Now we need to get the truck ready. Our first step is to get Airbags installed. It seems the most common ones are the Firestone Ride-rite Airbags. Is that correct? I see there are several different models, any input on which ones are best?

I was looking at this kit...does this seem like it has everything we need?

https://www.truckspring.com/products/Firestone-Ride-Rite-Air-Spring-Kit-Wireless-Air-Compressor__W21-760-2826.aspx

THANKS!

I'd make sure that the bags are inflated separately, rather than plumbed together. Other than that, looks like a nice kit!

Vic Harder said:
I'd make sure that the bags are inflated separately, rather than plumbed together. Other than that, looks like a nice kit!
Agree with Vic. Our firestone ride-rites are plumbed separately. Works well and they don't always need the same pressure.

what's the difference between the regular Ride -rite air bags and the "red label" ride-rite air bags?

As far as having them inflated separately. is that something I can have the person installing them do if I just ask, or do I need specific equipment or parts for that? Does the remote that comes with this kit allow to air each bag individually, or will I need a different remote?

My Airlift 5000 bags are inflated independently as well.

If you have a 2020 F-250, I'd hold off installing airbags until the camper is in the bed and setup the way you will travel/camp. You might not need the bags. Payload numbers are quite high on the '20 F-250s, especially if you bought the truck off the floor at the dealership. Most dealers order the 1000# payload increase option for the truck.

I'm 90% convinced I will be trading my '16 F-350 for a '21 F-250 (redesigned suspension to eliminate the "death wobble" which I have experienced, and not fun) in December. The '21 the dealer has on order is darn near what I would have special ordered. And the '21 F-250's payload is only 600# less than my F-350!

Doff said:
We finally bought our truck (F250) and we ordered out Camper today from FWC....very excited! Now we need to get the truck ready. Our first step is to get Airbags installed. It seems the most common ones are the Firestone Ride-rite Airbags. Is that correct? I see there are several different models, any input on which ones are best?

I was looking at this kit...does this seem like it has everything we need?

https://www.truckspring.com/products/Firestone-Ride-Rite-Air-Spring-Kit-Wireless-Air-Compressor__W21-760-2826.aspx

THANKS!
Vic Harder said:
What Vic said...

I am certainly not an expert, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn, but I believe the two schools are to either beef up the suspension [springs] or add air bags....a lot evidently depends on whether you intend to leave the FWC permanently mounted in the truck...then many use springs to level fore and aft with the load...with my Tundra I used the Firestone Air-bags which level my 1/2 ton truck side-to-side and fore to aft....I adjust the air until all top of the wheel wells are at same level [37" from my shop floor] using my front as the target height...to do that the left bag usually has 34 psi and the right 25 psi [26 gallons of fuel and 26 gallons on water on left side + FWC appliances]...or close to those pressures.

None of this addresses how smooth the ride is with air bags vs more springs..

And for us the air bags and a stout rear anti-sway bar all but eliminated tilting of the rig on corners or swaying from sudden direction changes; much more stable.

Do all the new Ford have aluminum beds? Tie down anchors can be an issue with the aluminum beds.

When we got our Grandby to go on our Dodge 2500 I installed these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Timbren/TGMRC20.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInu372tf-7AIViobACh0D_Q2oEAQYBSABEgIg6_D_BwE

They are half the cost of airbags and once installed (they simply replace your bump-stops) they are trouble free. I even ordered and installed them on the front because I carry a winch and or cargo carrier in my front receiver.

The down side is they are not adjustable, but they only touch the axle when the weight is on them so do not affect ride when unloaded. Also, they do not inhibit suspension articulation and cannot be damaged by extreme suspension travel.

I have Firestone bags with Daystars on my 09 F250 with my Hawk. As mentioned plumed separate. However I added the onboard air with remote controller. I am in areas where I need to let air out for tougher roads and to let suspension freedom then later in day air back up for paved roads and higher speeds. The remote makes it a lot faster and easier. Helps with minor leveling changes too ;)

The thing I added is DayStar cradles: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087CHYG3S/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_wtxSFbV3R9PQ4.

Without these, the full extension of your suspension is limited by the fully stretched amount of the airbag. My local 4X4 place claimed that without them, they get ripped bags bag in their shop, so I thought this would be a fairly good addition.

Buddy of mine added the remote as XJINTX mentioned, and he loved it. I just tough it out on rougher roads, or step out and lower the pressure--they're a small volume of air, so they're super easy to add or subtract air, but remote would be very cool for being able to actually decide what pressure you need while driving and for leveling when parking. That'd be pretty sweet!

There are other options, but the nice feature of the Airbags is that when I take off my camper, I lower the bags to minimum 5 PSI and the truck rides pretty much stock again!

What camper did you get and how is it configured? The reason I ask is that bags offer flexibility AND vulnerability. I try not to add systems that can fail if there’s an alternative. Sometimes there’s mot. That said, I know very little about bags.

We have a Raven shell that lives full time on a 1/2 ton Chevy. It only has one Hellwig leaf per side and it drives great. We take it highway to rutted 2-track and haven’t had a problem. Now depending on your build, your loaded weight could be substantially higher, but out of the gate it’s built to carry more than mine.

Just food for thought. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom