Rear Wall Steps, Best Use?

John22

Hello All, I recently purchased a used 2012 Hawk, has "rear wall steps". Well ok, but kind of worthless to me. This is my second 4WC camper and loved first one! Was wondering if Wanderers might have better use(s) for these hardpoints that I might attach other gear. I am guessing they are pretty sturdy and could hold loads such as .... spare water, extra gas, tools, gear box, spare tire, whatever. Was seriously thinking about a shelf that would hold gas and water. My sense is no sense in re-inventing a wheel here, particularly when there are so many clever folks around these parts. Useful input or pictures welcomed. Thanks! :)

John22 said:
Hello All, I recently purchased a used 2012 Hawk, has "rear wall steps". Well ok, but kind of worthless to me. This is my second 4WC camper and loved first one! Was wondering if Wanderers might have better use(s) for these hardpoints that I might attach other gear. I am guessing they are pretty sturdy and could hold loads such as .... spare water, extra gas, tools, gear box, spare tire, whatever. Was seriously thinking about a shelf that would hold gas and water. My sense is no sense in re-inventing a wheel here, particularly when there are so many clever folks around these parts. Useful input or pictures welcomed. Thanks! :)
Hang your swim suit and towel. The load on one might not be capable of doing what you want.

I used them for dog leash tie.
Also garbage bag holder.
One end of a laundry line.
I think they are quite useful other than just steps.

longhorn1 said:
Hang your swim suit and towel. The load on one might not be capable of doing what you want.
Just looking for ideas. I could not be the only one looking at these bolted through hardpoints. We know they can carry a full on humanoid. at 200lbs plus. Thanks :D

Awhile back my furnace quit working and I removed my roof rack. With an empty space and a few ounces of liquid courage I was able to mount both my hiLift and four recovery boards using the step mounts. The right side I retained the steps so jack would have plenty of clearance, while left side steps were removed.

Capture.PNG

Along with all the other other ideas list here I use them to stand on to remove snow during the winter and can also reach the stuff in the back of the yakima box if I approach strategically.

Due to low occupancy, the campground decided to close some sites. We got evicted. I attached the tent and drove to another site :D

Attachments

• DSC_0117 (1).jpg
    DSC_0117 (1).jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 170
Roaming_Eagle said:
Awhile back my furnace quit working and I removed my roof rack. With an empty space and a few ounces of liquid courage I was able to mount both my hiLift and four recovery boards using the step mounts. The right side I retained the steps so jack would have plenty of clearance, while left side steps were removed.

attachicon.gif
Capture.PNG

nice, thanks!

20180805_124736_resized.jpgI made this shelf/holder for my water can that attaches to the rear step and I also hang my hammock from one step and a tree. Ron

My '08 Hawk came with a step ladder, but the previous owner just let it bang around on the floor of the camper.
With a little ingenuity, I figured out a way to use the rear step as a support for the ladder, I fabbed a 1/4" x 1" piece of aluminum stock into a tee shape, which slides through the rear step and locks the ladder in place. Works great for us, but maybe a one-of-a-kind solution.

My Eagle came with the steps mounted. I almost never use them except:
  • As an extra tie down point for my vertically mounted bike rack.
  • Hang a trash bag.
  • Open a bottle of beer! :) (The space inside the step works perfectly!)
s!AuL7p4hLJoWcob0n4MrhvEPi9j_HSA

Back
Top Bottom