Rear wall steps

I've seen the steps on the back of a few FWC - but never in person. How are they attached and how 'strong' are they? Is there a backing plate inside the camper? Through one of the aluminum 'studs'?

I've seen the steps on the back of a few FWC - but never in person. How are they attached and how 'strong' are they? Is there a backing plate inside the camper? Through one of the aluminum 'studs'?

I am certain they mount to the frame. They are plenty strong enough to climb on. I access my roof rack with mine...no problem.

Frame mounted, no backing plate. They support my 220lbs no problem.

Here is what I am going to be using. They are made for sailboats, but I felt they would work the best for me. Link

The only issue I see with your Mast Steps idea is that they're made to be climbed like a pole. Hence the tabs on the end of each step so your foot won't slide off the end. Having climbed my share of sailboat masts I can tell you having your foot slide off is not a good thing. Rear wall steps are meant to be climbed like a wall.

Here is an eBay link for stainless steel folding steps. I bought 6 of these for my camper rebuild project but haven't installed them yet.

I plan to install one on each side and two on each side of the door.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stainless-STEEL-Fold-Up-STEP-Truck-Trailer-Camper-RV-/290482615144?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a21cf368

Got mine here:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=folding+steps&Nty=1&D=folding+steps&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

Sunman,
This is from an old post but I was looking for places for rear wall steps and following the link that you provided I see those black steps for 5.99. That seesm like a steal for me seeing as everywhere else is 15.99. Did you happen to get the dark ones and are you happy with them, or did you get the more expensive SS ones, or maybe you were just providing a link.

Take care,
James

James,
As I live on a beach I ponied up for the stainless steel ones, very happy with them. Seems to me when I bought mine there were regular cast one's that weren't black. Might be worth a call to see if they still carry them, $5.99 is a steal.

One thing you may want to watch out for.... After you purchase them, and before you install them, check to see that when they are unfolded out, that they would be perpendicular to the rear wall of the camper. My camper is new from FWC and one of the lower steps (I have two sets) unfolds to something more than perpendicular, resulting in a down angle that makes your foot feel like it is going to slip off. It is not bent, as I am only 170 lbs and am the only one that has used them. I believe it is an issue with the stop. It is something that I intend to pursue as a warranty issue.

It is something that I intend to pursue as a warranty issue.

I can't imagine FWC not mailing you a freebie out ASAP. Easy fix.

I can't imagine FWC not mailing you a freebie out ASAP. Easy fix.

I am sure you are correct, but as I will be passing through Woodland soon, I will take care of it then.

I have order some steps and plan to mount to the frame. However my questions is should it be thru bolted with washers/backing plate? or just drill it too the frame? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom