Rearranging my Granby, any suggestions

Barko1

My older Granby, a 98 I think, is in need of some repairs and modifications to better fit my use. The front lifter is shot, all the top rivets have pulled out, so a new one will be ordered and am hoping the install won't involved extended cursing.

I have had 2 batteries in the passenger side rear corner, in the closet along with a small microwave. Am moving them to the front of the camper for better weight distribution and am going to ditch the microwave, it sucks a lot of juice and I just really don't need it. The inverter will move with the batteries, not exactly sure where but probably under the seat of the new dinette. The dinette is the big change. I need a better eating arrangement if stuck inside by weather or flying vermin. Usually it is me and my daughter and a few dogs. I sleep up top and she sleeps under/across by the pass through window. I am thinking that I will raise her bed about 4" which will make it level with the side rails and that the bed can double as one seat of the dinette (will require pushing the bed forward a foot which seems OK). Then along the passenger side I will leave a 2' opening for the table (tbd) and will reconstruct what is now the "couch/bed into the other seat of the dinette, raising it 4". By raising everything I do get a little more storage and may put some cabinet doors on those areas so I don't have to open from the top, haven't quite decided on that. I figure I can have the current couch/bed cushion cut down to serve as the dinette seat and reclaim the closet that held the batteries for more crap storage.

Not sure if this makes sense and am just wondering if anyone has any feedback, if I am blind to something that others may have encountered. Any recommendations on the wood? The older Grandby is particle board so anything will be an improvement. I was thinking just plain old white wood, 1x16 will work or is there a good reason to good with something else? Thanks :D

Any recommendations on the wood? The older Grandby is particle board so anything will be an improvement. I was thinking just plain old white wood, 1x16 will work or is there a good reason to good with something else? Thanks :D

A lot depends on the shapes and such you need and finish you are going for but I'd be inclined towards a plywood for better weight/strength ratio and you can get some sheets with better wood veneers if it suits your purpose. Small structural pieces in view I might lean towards oak for a tight strong grain. As mentioned a lot depends on the actual shapes you'll end up needing.

A lot depends on the shapes and such you need and finish you are going for but I'd be inclined towards a plywood for better weight/strength ratio and you can get some sheets with better wood veneers if it suits your purpose. Small structural pieces in view I might lean towards oak for a tight strong grain. As mentioned a lot depends on the actual shapes you'll end up needing.

Thanks, no special shapes and not too much will be visible but something with the weight strength weight ratio and durable since I tend to beat it up. I guess I'll stain and put a few coats of finish, any recommendations there?

If you have the same dark colored wood as my 99' and are trying to match it here is a picture of the bed slide out I built. Birch veneer plywood with an oak front rail stained with minwax english chestnut (if I recall correctly on the color) and some minwax fast dry polyurethane for a top coat.

(There are other pictures of other stained components in my camper in the thread linked in my signature: new drawer fronts, counter top edge, etc.)
DSC02852Small.jpg

One thing, if you raise the cushions a bit, will you still be able to use the camper with the top down? I really like to be able to just sit inside with the top down during a rest stop or such... nice way to rest. If i were to raise the cushions, I would hit the top with my head while seated. There was someone on here that actually had the cushions cantilevered to be able to be in an up and down position, depending on needs. Very cool. If I had the time, I would make mine that way.

Good luck!

dave

I usually don't go inside with the top down much, I pop it open at rest area but I will look at how it might effect things closed, hadn't considered that. I'll shop for plywood today, had been thinking cheaper wood but for a few extra dollars I think that will be a good upgrade. I don't have good carpentry skills (like some on here ) but if I take my time I should be able to build something solid and better suited to out needs. The dining thing is really needed. I expect another 50 or 60 days of use this year including a month long trip to Newfoundland so whatever I can do to make it a better camper is a plus.

Also need a vent for the new battery area and figure out a good way to secure them. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom