Rebuilt '82 Bed Support Issue

shaunsquid

Hey Folks,
I am the proud new owner of a rebuilt '82. One of the few concerns I have with it is the bed when pulled out into 2 person mode. It is a half inch ply, with no real structural support otherwise. Worried about sleeping my girlfriend and I both on the bed, and I am worried that the half inch ply might not hold.

Anybody have ideas as to how to reinforce the thing?

You can see photos of the setup on this post I already made on The Fly Fishing Forum.
https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/892799-diyers-i-need-your-help-camper-bed-dilemma.html

Over the years someone has removed the fold down bed section and replaced it with their version of a slide out, but without the additional 1x2 aluminum angle the fold down had. I agree with jmjxsn that the thread he reference should be able to give you a safe fix.

Boonie

Wish you would post those pictures here!! Wanna see....

I had a 82 Fleet that I made a slide out bed. For security I used a length of PVC used as a center pier middle of from leading edge. I Had used Oak face that was ripped for the plywood to recess into, just like FWC was doing at the time. The PVC was custom shaped to form to the Oak face.

The PVC was around 2", don't remember. It was stored behind the oak trim on the bed.

See klahanie post #6 on the bed conversion thread for best description. Also the tilt-up bed had retractable legs that when the bed was up the legs extended down and rested on the behind the cab seats. These provided a mid-span support for the thin bed slab. Fabricating something like that as pvstoy suggested would also help support a thin slide-out slab.

Boonie

I have an 86 that looks identical to what is in the link shared by jimjxsn. I don't have the original plan cushions on the bed any more (sad but I hear they were rock hard) and just leave mine in place all the time. It doesn't cover my kitchen so it isn't a big deal. I tend to sleep on the over hang portion when solo as well as when my GF is up there. It feels very sturdy and I have never really thought it would come down. The metal legs seem like better support than what the sliders provide and don't really get in the way. I have been thinking about converting it to a slider but sort of in the mind sent of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."

Hi shaunsquid,

Just thought I'd share what I did on my 1981 build. Basically, I used a 1/2' plywood slider as well, but attached a 1'x3' front to the slider using a dado joint and gluing in the 1/2" plywood. The face board provides additional rigidity, and seems to carry my weight just fine with no flex. My slide only extends out about 12 inches and my bed width overall is 48 inches wide. Not ideal width, but with two bunks it has worked out fine.

Essentially, I believe this is how FWC does theirs, however there appear to be screws along the front as well, which I may yet do to mine for extra binding strength.

Hope that is helpful!

Poky

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:28244]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:28243]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:28242]

Thanks for the link. Fast and simple add a center removable center post on the front trim.

I always look at the older FWC campers to see if it was the one I sold, It is not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom