Recovery Board Storage

robcc

Advanced Member
We're heading to Baja and trying to figure out a good way to store 2 recovery boards on an ATC Bobcat. We have the old yakima round tubed roof racks on the yakima tracks. They could go up on the roof and if so, looking for a good way to secure them (something more secure than cam straps). Any other places to store these bulky things on a pop up is welcome.

We can't afford the Max tracks so we're thinking of the X Bulls as a lower cost option. They are a little bulky for stacking.

Several companies now make dedicated bolt-through mounts for traction boards that might adapt to your Yakimas. Check with Front Runner. However, I'm going to urge you to spend the extra and invest in MaxTrax. I've tested a lot of traction boards, and the budget ones just don't hold up. I've never broken a MaxTrax.

robcc said:
We're heading to Baja and trying to figure out a good way to store 2 recovery boards on an ATC Bobcat. We have the old yakima round tubed roof racks on the yakima tracks. They could go up on the roof and if so, looking for a good way to secure them (something more secure than cam straps). Any other places to store these bulky things on a pop up is welcome.

We can't afford the Max tracks so we're thinking of the X Bulls as a lower cost option. They are a little bulky for stacking.
I bought X Bulls but haven’t used them yet. I can’t remember where I saw it but there was a video, probably on YouTube, where they were tested next to Max Tracks. Max Tracks won, but the X Bulls were impressive.

My go-to for something like this are now nearly unobtainium. Harley-Davidson used to ship their motorcycles on a pallet and they were secured to the pallet with a pair of 1" ratchet straps. The key feature of these straps is that they are intended to be used in a loop, they have no hooks. I used to be able to buy them for a dollar each from the local dealer.

Nowadays these are as close as I can get: https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/collections/utility/products/continuous-loop-utility-strap-111907?variant=32324086759498 Be sure to select the ratchet option.

ramblinChet said:
Wow, those are really slick looking options. Thank you so much for the information!
I installed it yesterday.

Attachments

• 20211108_135746.jpg
    20211108_135746.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 122

Back
Top Bottom