Recovery equipment

cvc

Advanced Member
When you're going off road, do you take recovery equipment? What do you take? Have you had to use it?

recovery gear

I carry the following, but fortunately have only needed the shovel on the trail:
high lift
shackles
tow strap
tree strap
synthetic winch cable (light weight, stronger and more flexible)
couple of wrenches/plyers, channel locks, screwdrivers
duct tape (can anyone live without it?)
12v compressor
shovel
gloves
snatch block

The whole kit weighs about 75#, but I figure the weight is worth it if I ever need it. Realistically, this should be able to get you out of most situations.

Have a separate "survival" kit I keep in the truck with water purification tablets, first aid, signal mirror, space blanket etc, in case I ever have to hike out. Weighs next to nothing.

i have a mounted 12K lb winch, pulley, strap, chains, jumper cables (good ones), major first aid kit, triangle flares, tire patch kit (safety seal), and a pretty good tool assortment.
all this stuff has been used many times over the years...usually helping others tho...
the winch has gotten me out of a few pickles as well as into some places that would not have been accessible. It has also freed a number of hapless....er stupid....folks from some bad situations. I once came upon a fella in his fancy SUV out in the boondocks with his three little boys....one a toddler. They were high cenetered on ice...no tools....and the fool tried to get through with a "running start". i dont think they know how close they came to a very bad night....

Good ideas here. I'm going to use this to make a list and stock the truck. The first thing I want to get is a ARB bumper and a wench. Just have to convince the wife that it is a must have. Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Mike

wench

Sounds like he wants to put the wench in front, which should really be a problem with the wife. Let us know how that works out for you.

I carry the tow strap some other stuff all the time. I may or may not carry some of the Jeep stuff depending on where I'm going. I wish the truck had a winch but thats going to be a while now.

Herr, that reminds me of a time we did a memorial weekend trip up on the silver fork of the american river. Got up there on a thursday early. Had camp all set up so we (the two of us who had arrived, lot more were coming) and decided to head up the mormon emigrant trail and see where the snow was. Got up there and here's a car full of high school, college age women stuck in the snow. They'd tried to get a run at it too. Someone had told them it was a shortcut. It is, in the summer :) They had overnighted. Lucky for them they were on the way to some kind of slumber and had brought sleeping bags. Also lucky we went up early or it would have been another day before the rest of the holiday crowd showed up.

Herr, that reminds me of a time we did a memorial weekend trip up on the silver fork of the american river. Got up there on a thursday early. Had camp all set up so we (the two of us who had arrived, lot more were coming) and decided to head up the mormon emigrant trail and see where the snow was. Got up there and here's a car full of high school, college age women stuck in the snow. They'd tried to get a run at it too. Someone had told them it was a shortcut. It is, in the summer :) They had overnighted. Lucky for them they were on the way to some kind of slumber and had brought sleeping bags. Also lucky we went up early or it would have been another day before the rest of the holiday crowd showed up.

Sounds like the plot to one of them, uh, adult movies...

Back
Top Bottom