Recovery goes seriously wrong

I only drive into ditches, not on soft stuff. Could have been worse. Check out this video of a surf fishing trip to Baja. Skip ahead to minute 45 to learn another thing not to do.

He had it right-only takes one stupid mistake to put you up the creek! My usual-lots of kitty litter before the first jerk-but again most people react to the situation instead of thinking first and get even stucker! Sitting here in my nice house with no tides or possible salt water crocs stopping by for dinner, how about using the tree as a dead stop for either the wench or truck-tree, wench, truck wench and slowly jerk it out ot reverse it, tie the truck to the tree and use the wench to pull the stuck one out-to much thought here, time to watch Teds vidio!

Smoke

Smoke, you gotta be careful with the 'wench' word. I asked The Bride if she wanted to be my anchor wench, and i have been pulling the damn anchor by myself ever since.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Smoke, you gotta be careful with the 'wench' word. I referred to The Bride as my anchor wench, and if been pulling the damn anchor by myself ever since.
Noted :) I went with a river wench for years, and she knew how to use the wInch -guess this getting old tends to weaken the brain :p !

Smoke!

Ted I had to watch from 45 min to the end just to see how it ended. For sale...cheap. Salt can really mess with boards after seing those pictures.

Ah, yes, a great example of the "Law of Serial Consequences".

We were once part of a gathering crowd watching a frenzied recovery of a nice, late model Dodge pickup stuck well below the high-tide line on the beach near Avon, NC (Cape Hatteras Nat Seashore). The tide was coming in hard. The guy had the Dodge buried up to the frame in wet sand and there was no way any of our little trucks (Isuzu Trooper at the time) could budge him. He'd summoned help (no cellphones at the time) and help soon arrived from up in Salvo, NC in the form of a mid-1960s International 1-ton 4WD pickup with huge bald,nearly flat tires, rusted completely out, and without doors whatsoever. Piled into the remnants of the bed was a huge synthetic hawser with heavy chain + hooks on each end (I know, I know). The Hoi Toider running the truck and his helper pulled up to the Dodge rear-to-rear, hitched one end of the hawser to the Dodge, drove forward to string out the rest of the line (at least 100' of line), hitched to the IH frame, then reversed to within a truck length or two of the Dodge. Everybody was well clear when he then dumped the clutch on the IH, wound out 1st, wound out 2nd, and had just grabbed 3rd when the line came taut. The line had a goodly amount of stretch to it, but it stopped the IH pretty quickly. Right as the IH stopped, the Dodge popped out like a cork from a bottle of bubbly. In fact, it popped out so quickly it was briefly completely in the air. The Dodge's driver actually "bit" the steering wheel and busted his lip. A round of applause and the popping of several beers completed the spectacle.

Foy

That surf fishing video is out of control!! But it's a prime example of how the right attitude can turn almost anything into a fun memory and a great time.

Ted said:
I only drive into ditches, not on soft stuff. Could have been worse. Check out this video of a surf fishing trip to Baja. Skip ahead to minute 45 to learn another thing not to do.
Waste of a good Tundra, if you ask me. They had fun and had good attitudes (and fishing), but the crass waste of a fine vehicle is just off putting.

I don't know about "crass waste" of a vehicle...once the tide came in and it was awash in salt water, it was done...totaled. Nothing anyone could do about it at that point. You're not going to fix it ever. I thought their attitude was pretty good considering.

Back
Top Bottom