Reflectix-How to attach to the FWC windows

Robinsondog

I got my new a Hawk Shell back in the summer and am hoping to take it to Alaska in the fall if covid 19 allows. I have camped in temperatures in the low 20's this past winter and want to add some more insulation as the heater runs a lot when at this temperature. My plan will be to cover the windows with reflectix and then maybe do something with the cabover bed.

Does anybody have tricks to attach these to the windows where they can be installed and removed easily? Are there any commercial solutions or templates for the windows from FWC to make cutouts easier? Looking for a clean solution.

Thanks!

Use this search phrase: "site:wanderthewest.com window insulation" in your favorite search engine.

There has been a lot of discussion on the forum about the issue.

Paul

For the side window I just cut the Reflextix just a little wider then the whole wall not just the window. Just press into place and friction holds it in fine. The top edge is held in place by the bed slide rail and narrow hanging cabinet. For the front window I again cut just a little larger then window frame and friction will hold it in.

Same as Edgewood. Has worked fine that way for the past seven years. We leave it up in the summer too to keep the camper cooler and just remove when we want to have more light when we are inside.

Hi Robinsondog
Congratulations on your Hawk! I just cut mine slightly larger so that just kinda snug then close the drapes. Haven’t hade any problems.
I thought I might need suction cups along the top. That’s been our experience.
I also thought of cutting it oversized and using the removable hook sticky’s and glue magnets to the reflectix corners the metal on the sticky to the camper walls. Ended up not going this route.

Russ

On my ATC, I cut it large enough that it is held in place by the curtain rods.

I saw a video on a van conversion blog where they used suction cups with a thumbtack back that you just push through the reflectix and any cloth covering when you want it to stay in place. They are made for holding signs on the inside of store windows.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ1N3Y4?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-other-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp

https://www.clipstrip.com/suction-cup-with-push-tack-70158t.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw17n1BRDEARIsAFDHFeyIhmVlORIM06-N6zU9y01SSIpk_8RsWEM8NahTRLpy5qoTvZy8o2QaAkOkEALw_wcB

I use the cut oversize method plus little round self-stick Velcro pads.

This doesn't answer your question, but I testify the arctic pack insulation is well worth the price.

cwdtmmrs said:
I use the cut oversize method plus little round self-stick Velcro pads.
This is the same method that I used. I've found that velcro has been very helpful in my FWC mods. I also stapled the self-adhesive velcro strips to the reflectix to give them a little more temporary permanency. :)

Awesome-thanks for all of the replies. Sorry I am late to reply but a derecho shredded the Middle Tennessee electrical grid and power/internet just came back on after 3 days. I have the arctic pack which is great but it gets cold even being close to a window without decent insulation. All of these solutions look good. Going to order a roll and try some of them out. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom