2024 Improvements to 1966 8' NCO Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member
Updating the Charging Panel - Sept. 2024

The dual cigarette lighter plug 12 volt charging port installed in Sept. 2015 has become obsolete, so I replaced it this week with a new NiLight brand 12 volt charging panel having an on/off switch, one cigarette lighter plug, and dual QC 3.0 USB sockets with a LED voltmeter between them. Now I can charge my new cell phone and other electronics, with one exception. Charging panel.jpg

My Microsoft Surface Pro 9 tablet with keyboard requires 65 watts (4.0 amps at 15 volts) to charge, and a 12 volt battery cannot produce 15 volts. So, I took a circuitous route and bought a Vansoet brand 500 watt pure sine wave inverter to produce 115 volts AC (4.2 amps max) into which I could plug a SP9 AC charger. Other 115 volt AC battery chargers that can be powered from the inverter include my Canon camera battery charger and a Harbor Freight Hercules tool battery charger. Three 100 watt solar panels on the roof of my Alaskan charge the camper battery as I go down the road or park in sunlight, replacing the energy consumed by the inverter.

For convenience, a remote 115 volt duplex outlet was installed in the cubby hole charging panel underneath the 12 volt outlets. With the inverter on and the cabinet doors closed, the fan could barely be heard, so a red indicator light was placed next to the duplex outlet to remind me when the inverter was drawing power. The charging panel was used to avoid drilling holes and slots in the Alaskan’s cabinetry, thereby keeping its appearance unspoiled. It is recessed into the cubby hole to avoid having the charging cord plugs extend into the narrow hallway.Inverter on shelf.jpg

This small inverter was intended for occasional use and came with 2 car battery alligator clamps. When connected, its fan always ran and its dual USB charging ports were powered even when the inverter was switched off. I wanted a permanent installation, so to avoid these always-on phantom loads I installed a battery disconnect switch so the whole inverter could be turned off and on.

The inverter was installed on a shelf made by a
rear of inverter.jpg
former owner in the passenger side floor cabinet just forward of the Alaskan’s battery. The battery disconnect switch was installed under the shelf, close to the battery but out of the way and out of sight when the cabinet door is closed.

The 12 gauge battery clamp cables were replaced with over-spec’d 6 gauge battery cables. The battery disconnect switch was placed in the positive battery to cut or allow power to the inverter.

The rear of the inverter is readily accessible from the Alaskan’s battery compartment, allowing easy access to the inverter’s battery input connectors and fuses. The Alaskan's Group 31M 105 amp hour AGM battery is located under the plywood panel supporting the fuse box. The red 6 gauge battery cable from the battery positive terminal goes to the battery disconnect switch then to the inverter, whereas the black battery cable from the negative terminal connects directly from the battery to the inverter.

The small 18 gauge gold colored wire from the inverter's input connectors goes to the red indicator lamp on the charging panel. Whenever the battery disconnect switch is turned On and inverter receives power, the indicator lamp lights up, a handy visual reminder for an old mind. Charge ahead!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom