Refrigerator door closed?

Loren

How do you keep your refrigerator door from popping open on rough roads?

I added velcro straps at the top and bottom:

Refrigerator Velcro Straps-1024.jpg

I did this mostly to compress the door seal to ensure that no cold air leaks out. I never had any problems with the refrigerator opening on rough roads.

-Scott

I made another latch for the bottom.
There is a spot to attach the same latch as the top ,on the bottom,I think.

As I didn't research where to get a top latch,mine works great.
Also did mine to compress the seal better.

Frank

We use a Task Quick Support Rod: https://www.amazon.com/Task-Tools-T74500-63-Support/dp/B0026T0R0G/ref=asc_df_B000CRDD6Y/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242054986317&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4425960322308253687&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061079&hvtargid=pla-586479935237&th=1

Minimum 2 ft 6 in out to 4 ft 6 in

Works exceptionally well to keep the fridge door closed and as a clothes line for damp towels and such. Wedge it close and give it a little twist to tighten.

Vic's solution looks like an easy security feature for fridge...our Isotherm 110 has never popped open and we had pounded rough off road tracks...will say there are 2 "clicks" when closing and second click is needed to lock it closed...

Our Dometic latch hangs on my less than an 1/8" and has dumped our food far too many times.
I went to my garage and cut a short 4" piece of a 2x2 (ironwood picket) and hinged it. I glued in two super magnets so it can stay flipped up or flipped down in front of the door. It's overkill, but since then we've had no problems.

For our sliding door overhead cabinet I used something similar to what Vic suggested.

heinphoto said:
I added velcro straps at the top and bottom:

attachicon.gif
Refrigerator Velcro Straps-1024.jpg

I did this mostly to compress the door seal to ensure that no cold air leaks out. I never had any problems with the refrigerator opening on rough roads.

-Scott
Mine is similar to this; except I used 3/4 webbing strap with snaps. I screwed a male snap onto the frig door and the strap is fixed to the cabinet. The strap has two snaps: one position to secure door closed; and a second position to secure door adjar when fridge is empty. The door adjar position uses a little foam to compress and this allows air to circulate so as to not get musty in the unused fridge.

fuzzymarindave said:
Mine is similar to this; except I used 3/4 webbing strap with snaps. I screwed a male snap onto the frig door and the strap is fixed to the cabinet. The strap has two snaps: one position to secure door closed; and a second position to secure door adjar when fridge is empty. The door adjar position uses a little foam to compress and this allows air to circulate so as to not get musty in the unused fridge.
That's what I did for all my 2008 cabinet drawers and doors. We carry a cast iron pan and our doors kept popping open on the rougher trails. The straps with snaps have been in use for 8 years and we still use them. I've since done slam latch hardware on our doors, but the straps on straps is still our go to back up to keep our stuff inside the cabinets and not dumped on the floor.

The door on my fridge can be reversed. I made a pin fixture that uses the unused holes to hold the door closed:
1refrig.jpg
seen from top.

When I find my gear on the floor its usually because I failed to latch properly, not a failure of the latch itself. You'd think it would be automatic but somehow its not :)

Thanks to all the replies and ideas. I like Lighthawk have a Dometic latch that hangs on less than I/8". I went to hardware store to get the stick on Velcro / safety lock even though in the past when using stick on it doesn't last forever and usually takes the veneer with it. I went by the door hardware section and found a 4" sliding bolt lock usually used horizontally. I installed vertically at the bottom of the door but had to build up the bottom catch with a small block of wood and aluminum,bolt 1.jpgbolt 2.jpg

Loren said:
Thanks to all the replies and ideas. I like Lighthawk have a Dometic latch that hangs on less than I/8". I went to hardware store to get the stick on Velcro / safety lock even though in the past when using stick on it doesn't last forever and usually takes the veneer with it. I went by the door hardware section and found a 4" sliding bolt lock usually used horizontally. I installed vertically at the bottom of the door but had to build up the bottom catch with a small block of wood and aluminum,
attachicon.gif
bolt 1.jpg
attachicon.gif
bolt 2.jpg
Looks solid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom