Refrigerator

If you have the battery and solar for it, go compressor. The 3-way fridges do the job, but they are a lot of work. Also, pay attention to the inside layout. Our first fridge was a 3-way and basically a box. Always a pain to get the one needed item in the back. Shelves and door storage are a real plus. The compressor fridges are pretty darn efficient - search the WtW post and you will find a lot of suggestions. We have the FWC stock Isotherm and love it.

Not sure how many people end up adding 3-way fridges into the shell models. I would assume you'd want to stick to a 2-way compressor 12v fridge. Very easy to setup. You'll be running the fridge off your house battery when the vehicle is off and/or if there is no solar. The compressor fridges pull anywhere from 3-6amps when they run, so they are pretty efficient. Most people want a Danfoss or LG powered compressor.

There are so many 12V fridge brands out there now,. It comes down to your budget and space really. Some of the top tier brands are:
Dometic
National Luna
Snomaster
Engel/Whytner/Edgestar (Same manufacturer, different levels of quality)
ARB

The new FWC's come with Isotherms, which are great but open like a normal vertical fridge.

I've run an Edgestar 63qt I bought for $250 7 years ago that has been through 5,000-8,000 miles offroad and never missed a beat through 2 different vehicles. I also have a $250 Alpicool I use as a dedicated freezer. I would imagine spending more for the top brands would be even more worth it.

Fenwaysox said:
I have a hawk shell and want to buy a refrigerator. What do you suggest?
[SIZE=small]Engel MT45F - Hawk shell as well. Engel has been around, forever. They set the standard for energy efficiency and durability. They've only goten better over the years. There are many newcomers and some are excellent as well, but Engel has proven itself for years and years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Rich[/SIZE]

ri-f said:
[SIZE=small]Engel MT45F - Hawk shell as well. Engel has been around, forever. They set the standard for energy efficiency and durability. They've only goten better over the years. There are many newcomers and some are excellent as well, but Engel has proven itself for years and years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Rich[/SIZE]

Rich...can Engel MT 45F be built in? I mean like an upright refrigerator...

Wallowa said:
Rich...can Engel MT 45F be built in? I mean like an upright refrigerator...
The MT 45F is a top loader. I have seen installations where a cabinet was built to fit it, and a sliding tray was installed for easy access to the top when slid out. Engel does, however, make 12v front load fridges as well. They are also energy efficient (as low as 0.7 amps) and actually less expensive than the top openers, too. You can take a look at:

https://engelcoolers.com/collections/powered-fridge-freezers

Rich

I went 12V and got a BougeRV after watching the review on hobotech. I also bought the case and it was a great deal using the hobo tech code on the BougeRV site. It was $280 for the 30qt size with the case. I can’t imagine paying $700-900 for the dometic. I might build it in on a slider but for now it’s great to move to the cab of the truck since they make noise. It has an auto shutoff to protect the battery and I’m impressed with the efficiency.

Planning out our soon-to-be-ordered (but not to arrive!) Hawk Shell as well, also looking at ARB frig. Bear with my ignorance, as it's all new to us. Does it have a fan that blows air over coils to cool them? How much clearance is required? Any problem with fan blowing hot air around inside camper?

I have a Norcold 3 way that works well, until the temps start creeping into the high 80s-90s. If it ever dies, it will be replaced by a compressor type. If your plans include any desert or camping down south opt for the compressor type. Install adequate sized solar and a good size battery bank.

Engel is having a Memorial Day sale. Use MEMORIAL21 for 10% off until Monday night. I believe standard shipping is free.
ri-f: do you find that the 48 liter is large enough? I’m thinking about the combi, I like my ice cubes for sundowners.

I'd like to replace my 3-way Dometic mod 2193 with an Engel front loader or similar. Anybody know how the Engel front loaders are vented and do they differ from other brands in that respect? Pictures on the Engel website do not provide enough details and it looks like the top-mounted control panel is vented. Since my existing 3-way has two large exterior vents and I'd rather have the replacement utilize that venting and not have it venting into the interior of the camper. Has anybody replaced their 3-way with a compressor style frig and have any tips regarding the install process or venting?

Wildcat said:
I'd like to replace my 3-way Dometic mod 2193 with an Engel front loader or similar. Anybody know how the Engel front loaders are vented and do they differ from other brands in that respect? Pictures on the Engel website do not provide enough details and it looks like the top-mounted control panel is vented. Since my existing 3-way has two large exterior vents and I'd rather have the replacement utilize that venting and not have it venting into the interior of the camper. Has anybody replaced their 3-way with a compressor style frig and have any tips regarding the install process or venting?
Last summer, I replaced my (factory) ice box with this fridge/freezer. It is self-venting and works great. The compressor is quiet enough and does not bother me at all. I opted for this model since my 2013 Hawk does not have the exterior refer vent and didn't want to cut a hole nor alter the wall (prone to dust and moisture). Its freezer is small and can't keep my ice cream bars frozen. I'll be getting a 48qt top-opening portable freezer/ref as a dedicated freezer to supplement the Engel.

Engel SB70 DC Front Opening Fridge-Freezer (12/24 volt) – Engel Coolers

Wildcat said:
The Engel upright I have does indeed vent the removed heat to the inside. A plus in the winter a minus in the summer.

BTW Engels do not come with earplugs.
If I'd done more research I'd have found the Engel compressors are noisy compared to others.

Back
Top Bottom