regarding yakima track

ScottD

I received my Fleet camper in January and have been reading Wandering the West since before then. This forum is rich with information. Because of my research on this sight I've added Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Firestone Air Bags, and BF Goodrich K2 tires to my 2005 Tacoma.

When I bought my camper I chose not to buy some of the accessories that in time I could add at a considerable savings. My first project is installing yakima tracks. I've accumulated the various supplies necessary to complete the task but am reluctant to drill holes until I'm sure of where the aluminum sub-frame is located in the roof. With the newer Four Wheel Camper one piece roof it is difficult to know where to position the track so that the screws acquire a good purchase on the aluminum sub frame. I've tried to feel through the roof to find where to position the track with limited success.

My question is directed to Fleet owners that had their tracks factory installed. What is the measurement from the outside edge of the roof to the outside edge of the Yakima track? Your help would be most appreciated.

If nobody beats me to it, I should be able to grab a measurement in a few hours when I get back home. Let you know

A possibility or back up plan -

From inside feel the headliner material. It should be very easy to feel and measure the placement of the framing. Transpose measurements to the outside.

It was recommended to me by Stan, that using a small drill bit, drill tiny pilot holes from the interior through the wood slats attached to the aluminum ribs.

I have a 2012 Fleet with factory installed full-length tracks. I just went out and measured.

The last screw in the back is 6 1/2" from the rear, and the front screw is 6 1/4' from the front. So that gives you the first and last screw.

On the drivers side the center of the track is 11 1/2" from the side of the roof.

On the passenger side the center of the track is 10" from the side.

Thanks DonC for the measurements and thanks to the rest of you for your comments. I'm surprised that the two side measurements are not the same.

Probably due to how they run the frame to support other critical structures and not running an extra piece, which would add weight, just to have symmetrical tracks on top.

photohc said:
It was recommended to me by Stan, that using a small drill bit, drill tiny pilot holes from the interior through the wood slats attached to the aluminum ribs.
This is how I would personally do it. I would take Stan's advise.

There are already little finishing staples in the roof. If you use an extremely small.drill bit you won't even know it is there. There is no infsulation in the aluminum. You are doing little more impact then adding another finishing staple and you know you are going to end up nearly dead center in the aluminum framing.

Back
Top Bottom