Remote temperature sensing

searching for nowhere

Does anyone have experience with a remote temperature sensing device that uses cell phone technology to send temperature data to a cell phone? I found one on the internet called MarCell. I'm looking to use it while in a grocery store or museum while I leave my dog in a camper van. I'm getting a new rig that will have an AC unit that can run on my batteries. fyi I'll be posting my story of getting a new camper van once the saga is over - hopefully in a couple of weeks. It is not a positive story.

Thanks for any info.

Where I live, in today's heat (90F), if someone saw a dog in a van for more than a few minutes in the parking lot they'd bust down the door and rescue it. And law here allows that. Might want to put a sign to the effect that temp is being monitored remotely or something.

And have a backup to that sensor system. Like a car alarm? in case you or it loses cell signal.

I bought a cheap bluetooth temp sensor on Amazon that claims the signal can reach 250 feet. I doubt it is that good. The free app has high and low temp notifications. The font in the app is pretty darn small for my old eyes, FWIW.

Haven't used it in the field yet, but seems to work around home. I'm going to use it to monitor my compressor fridge temperature as the thermostat is a bit unreliable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

There are a number of bluetooth as well as wifi temperature sensing devices. Range is likely to be short with bluetooth probably <100 ft. Be sure you get USB rechargeable devices.

https://www.amazon.com/bluetooth-temperature-sensor/s?k=bluetooth+temperature+sensor

We do use rechargable bluetooth temp sensing devices in our home and they work well over about 50 ft.

We also have similar devices in our camper refrigerator and freezer that we monitor from the cab of the truck except that they require batteries. The batteries last a long time but do need to be replaced from time to time and if you leave them for a long time they can fail and corrode.

I hope this is helpful.

Craig

Thanks for your comment. This is a whole lot cheaper than the item I had found. But I wonder if it will go far enough for me, needing for the signal to go through the van wall and a building wall too. Hum. I'll think about it.

If range over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turns out to be too limited, there are cellular options. Of course that’s a much more expensive route, but the options I found with a quick internet search didn’t seem unreasonable if you’re planning to leave your pet in the van a lot in hot weather.

Here’s one for $190 with data plans about $8-11/month.

https://www.meetmarcell.com/

not cheap, but if you are into Victron gear at all, they make a "Cerbo GX" unit that uses wifi to extend the range and can control a whole lot of things... I'm investigating this stuff, but not familiar with it yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom