Removal and Storage of Hawk

Now you guys are thinking! You could add a couple of motors with a remote controller and do the whole thing by yourself! Of course, the cost would add up and I guess they already make such a thing with the remote controlled jacks, but it is fun to imagine the possibilities.

Couldn't you use the Internet somehow? :unsure: Or maybe a smartphone app? :oops: Maybe with my current HTC One and my 3 retired smartphones -- that could do it...
If Steve Jobs was still alive his people would offer some pretty way to do it...but it would co$t you an arm & a leg. :rolleyes:
:p
;)

The cordless drill is needed in most cases. Don't get a cheap 12 volt one. You will kill the battery on one or two jacks. 18 volt brand-name is the way to go. My DeWalt will raise and lower all four jacks two or three times on one charge.

I hate to admit this... but I've lowered and raised mine by hand once. When I rehabbed my roof screws I wanted to lower the camper all the way down. I forgot my drill so hand crank it was...all by myself. Sure took a long time. :rolleyes:

I've got a worn out 14.4v Makita and it struggles when there is weight on the jack hence why I built the at height dolly.

You guys do know they make electric jacks right? Even with remote control... ;)

winks said:
The cordless drill is needed in most cases. Don't get a cheap 12 volt one. You will kill the battery on one or two jacks. 18 volt brand-name is the way to go. My DeWalt will raise and lower all four jacks two or three times on one charge.
FYI. I have a Craftsman 19.2 Volt C3 Combo Kit, Drill/Driver & Impact Driver. The drill doesn't have enough power to raise my camper. I don't mind using the hand crank to raise. My wife helps me so it doesn't take too long. It sure is speedy when I lower it using the drill adapter.

super doody said:
FYI. I have a Craftsman 19.2 Volt C3 Combo Kit, Drill/Driver & Impact Driver. The drill doesn't have enough power to raise my camper. I don't mind using the hand crank to raise. My wife helps me so it doesn't take too long. It sure is speedy when I lower it using the drill adapter.
I have a 18v skill drill driver with a switch for high tork. lift the Hawk no problem.

Bwht4x4 said:
I bought one of the drill adapters from FWC when I picked up the camper. Without it I can only imagine it taking forever to lower or raise. The thought of ever removing it once at a destination for whatever reason is gone.
Dwayne, this is very true, but funny... I remember a thread not too far back where a forum member insisted that he was going to remove the camper each time he went camping, so he could use his truck for launch/recovery of his drift boat or something while maintaining his camping spot.

To each is own, but for me the camper stays on the truck the entire time I'm out. And since it fits on the truck in the garage, I rarely find times throughout the summer months to remove it and store it at all. I use a wood box on wheels so I can roll it around and into the garage, but your method looks like it works great too.

Happy New Year!

Kilroy

Does anyone keep the camper jacked up all the way with sawhorses under (36" or higher)? I am contemplating doing this and using a step ladder, but want to know if the camper is stable. I have an Eagle on an F150 and I need 41 inches of height to clear the truck bed plus the 6" platform in the bed to make the camper fit over my bed rails. It is a real pain lowering from/raising to 41" each time.

If you have a tall enough garage...

Fabricate an overhead cradle that bolts to the FWC jack mounts. Use a 2.5 ton chain fall and simply lift the camper out of the bed.

Move truck. Lower camper onto dolly and roll into corner.

Be nice to have...just not practical.

Back
Top Bottom