Removing Bump Stops

losttaco

Afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience removing the bump stops on there camper?

Or has replaced them with something thinner?

I have a flatbed application and do not require them for spacing. I want to move the camper as close to the cab as possible.

Pictures to help.

Thanks

Just remember the clearances will change during dynamic conditions, especially off road.

I cut mine about half.
Granby in 2017 F250.
Made the camper "fit" and become more a part of the truck as opposed to cargo...if that makes any sense.

Neither our old Phoenix nor our current Hallmark have ever had bumpers like that. Maybe one or both had them new, but we never saw them.

One of the first things I did on all three of my FWC's (2012, 2015, 2018- do you see a pattern here?) is take the bump stops off completely. It will move your COG forward which is always a good thing!

I cut about 1” off of my rubber bump-stops with a hack saw. Now it’s spaced perfectly from my front bed rail.

Mine are still intact. I use the space to store my aluminum sand ladders that are wrapped in some home depot carpet runner. They are out of the way and are not obvious for anyone to steal them, but can be worked out of there when needed.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I wanted to move the camper forward to help with the COG. I just moved my bed forward 1.5". Now plan on moving the camper forward 3" removing these. Should help a lot with weight and looks. This was my initial drive home a few months ago.

Great thread. Since getting my Granby last November I've wondered about that very thing. I've thought of what I could store there but nothing really comes to mind that I use regularly or that I would want in that space. I think if those stops were removed I could even use my tailgate which would make a convenient porch. Of course, if my tailgate was on someone could prank me by closing it and locking me in..... but I could likely come up with something to prevent that.

Does anyone know the measurement on how far the bump stops protrude from an 2022 Hawk? I too would like to have the new camper as close to the cab as I can. I will be mounting it in a 2017 Silverado 6.5 bed. I have attached a photo of the cab/bed bulkhead. As you can see there is a recess under the rail that may work to my advantage.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom