Removing inside cabinets

telebrewer

Advanced Member
Has anyone removed the cabinets and sink and stove? I'm sure someone has. I was thinking about all the wasted space of that stuff. I never use the sink or water tank. I've used the stove twice I think. I want to keep the front berth and couch for my kids to sleep on.

I ran into a guy down in Baja that just bought the shell version. He had to drive to Mt. Shasta from San Diego. It was

so open inside. We always set our camp up outside. I'm just wondering how much more space I would get. Does anyone have any photos of what they have done to their campers?

Thanks.

Hey Telebrewer,
It is possible to remove those things, although it would be helpful to know what model camper you'd be modifying so that you get more accurate feedback. Over the past two days, I have removed the bench seat and replaced it with a dinette setup in my Eagle. The backrest was removed by a previous owner, so it was just a somewhat awkward seating space that wasn't as functional as I needed. The removal of most of the things inside of our campers is fairly straightforward, and most of the hardware (angle braces/screws) can be re-used if you build alternate furnishings.

The previous owner of my Eagle removed the water tank and plumbing, as well as the stove, and replaced the countertop with a stainless steel sheet with an edge around it to keep things from falling off. This works really well for me, as I now have more cabinet/storage space, and, like you, I do most of my cooking outside, so I don't need all that other stuff. No use in carrying around both a coleman/partner stove AND a built in unit...

I've also removed my fridge and installed a set of drawers in its place. That was fairly simple and straightforward. One of the things that's great about the construction of these campers is the lack of adhesives...it's all just screwed together making remodeling really simple.

I'll try to get some photos of my dinette and whatnot up shortly.

Cheers,
West

Lots of photos flying around of folks tearing things out, starting with shells, etc.

A good exercise for your personal situation might be to mock up the camper walls.floor steps with cardboard in your garage or such while visualizing how you might want to change things.

Has anyone removed the cabinets and sink and stove? I'm sure someone has. I was thinking about all the wasted space of that stuff. I never use the sink or water tank. I've used the stove twice I think. I want to keep the front berth and couch for my kids to sleep on.

I ran into a guy down in Baja that just bought the shell version. He had to drive to Mt. Shasta from San Diego. It was

so open inside. We always set our camp up outside. I'm just wondering how much more space I would get. Does anyone have any photos of what they have done to their campers?

Thanks.

Hey Telebrewer,
What make model year is your camper? I just remodeled my whole interior (1990 Hawk) and have lots of good pictures of the general construction layout. Here the the link to my thread. Disassembling everything is very easy. Just grab your 1/4" socket and 1/4" bit for your cordless drill and go to town. It would be very easy to take it down to a shell model. The only think you would run into with removing the sink/water tank, and stove would be holes in your counter top (if you keep it). You would have some plumbing and propane lines to remove or mess with, but would be very easy.
Hope that helps. Let us know what you come up with. ;)
Paul

Mines a '94 Grandby. With an icebox ( broke apart and I removed it ), sink w/hand pump, and stove w/propane cabinet. So I have the basic stuff. It should be a no brainer to take it out.

Mines a '94 Grandby. With an icebox ( broke apart and I removed it ), sink w/hand pump, and stove w/propane cabinet. So I have the basic stuff. It should be a no brainer to take it out.

Yup, very easy. You will gain TONS of space too. Empty they are WAY bigger feeling. So whats is the plan?

Back
Top Bottom