Removing Snow from the Roof

hkyfsh

Anyone have any clever ways they remove snow from the roof. Maybe a telescoping pole with a squegee or soft brush on it? Something that can be used from on the ground?

I bought a snow rake for just this purpose -- removing new snow while camped. I posted a photo couple years ago in a trip report...will post a link to that a bit later -- I'm on my phone right now.

This is a roof rake. It's not the most practical tool for a flat roof unless you elevate yourself, but they work well if you get the correct angle.

Attachments

• 281444_front500.jpg
    281444_front500.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 121
I use a sno hoe (snohoe.com). It is made local and we put a telescoping pole on one at work. They work great and are lightweight..

MarkBC said:
I bought a snow rake for just this purpose -- removing new snow while camped. I posted a photo couple years ago in a trip report...will post a link to that a bit later -- I'm on my phone right now.
OK, here's a picture of my snow rake -- deployed -- with my camper from a winter trip to Great Basin N.P. two years ago.

_DSC7326.jpg

It really works -- at least, if you have a long extension with the angle connectors. The pole sections break down well enough that it easily stores in the catch-all spot behind the camper couch. The business end of the rake is plastic so won't scratch the glass of the solar panels.

As I said in that 2013 post:
"My latest addition to winter-campering equipment this year was the snow-roof-rake, complete with angle-connectors so I can reach up onto the camper roof to clear snow. There wasn't much left (from snow at home in Bend), but there was some crust I needed to clear from the solar panels. The main reason I got/brought it was to clear snow from the roof if it snowed significantly -- enough to be heavy -- while camped."

And significant deep snow can and does fall -- even in the relatively arid Great Basin, as shown in this photo from a mid-'90s trip to GBNP, pre-camper, but camped in the same site (#11) as in 2013.

gallery_2431_33_11825.jpg

This snow fell in one night. If it had piled up on the roof of the camper, even if the roof could hold the weight, all that weight would make lowering the roof kinda crash-y.
And I've also learned that deep snow isn't as translucent as you'd think -- so the solar panels can't do their thing very well until they've been cleared.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course...since it no longer snows in the far West I probably should find a home for my big long roof rake with someone who Wanders the East.

I've got this one but have only used it once. It packs down nicely and is easy to put together with no tools. Getting the head off is tricky, but that may get better over time, and my main concern is that it's easy to put together and use (that way I'll actually use it -- I can take it apart later).

Looks like the price has gone up quite a bit, but if you buy one next summer...

Back
Top Bottom