Removing stock trailer hitch from 2nd gen Tacoma

Bread

Advanced Member
Since I'm not planning on using the trailer hitch that came with my Tacoma, decided it might be good idea to remove it for a considerable weight reduction. With the FWC and gear, every pound counts. Realized that removing the hitch means removing the rear bumper as well, since the stock hitch serves as a bracket to hold up the bumper. Anyone have any experience removing the hitch? Seems like you would need to replace it with a custom bracket to hold the bumper. Maybe I should ditch the whole bumper/hitch assembly for some serious weight reduction.

You don't ever think you will need it for pulling someone out of a hole, or maybe carrying a bike rack or a storage rack? A step can also be put in them, I use them for that too.

I installed a hitch on the front of the truck for those purposes. Keeps the bike rack out of the way and moves some weight towards the front.

I do plan to install custom springs, but still would like to get rid of unnecessary weight. Hauling bikes, kayaks, fishing and climbing gear plus the camper will take its toll on the braking system.

The bumper attaches to the hitch in 3 places. 1-At the reciver. 2+3 -Where the hitch brackets attach to the frame.

But there are plenty of 2nd Gen. Tacomas out there without any hitch, so there must be some alternate hardware available for those trucks. You might even find someone wanting a hitch who is willing to trade with you.

You're right, the hitch is heavy: I just had it off to make some modifications to it and I could barely lift it back on to the brackets that it hangs from. I would guess that it weighs about 70 Lbs.

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom