Renology Recall 100 watt panels.

The recall mentions a Renogy panel selling period of May-Oct 2015.

Does anyone know how that relates to manuf dates or panels purchased prior to this period?

I believe that is for the flexible panels only. I have not heard of failures from the solid ones. I don't think they have the flexible versions down yet as I heard the government was having some issues with the ones they were using. Don't know who made them though....

Yep, been happy with my solid panels-bought one then up graded to two a while later. I think this winter is giving them a real test of keeping my camper batteries charged up though, with no camping trips since November (been medically/weather challenged of late). So far, they seem to be doing the job, with no land line hook up, and covered with snow allot and with only drives around town or trips to Reno to help keep things charged up! Speaking of that, got to go out and brush them off again :eek: !

Smoke

This recall only applies to the Renogy flexible 100w panels. Renogy has notified owners about the affected models and S/N's. FWC has not used these panels but a lot of us have added them as portables or roof mount.

My understanding is that if the panel is bent too much it can crack the substrate and cause an electrical problem that might result in heating. I'm planning on keeping mine for now and keep an eye out for more reported problems.

This is the Renogy email sent out for the voluntary recall. My panels were returned mid last week and should receive a refund check by the end of this week.

Dear Valued Renogy Customer,

You are receiving this email as our records indicate that you have purchased a product with the model number RNG-100DB after April 28th, 2015.

RNG is issuing a voluntary product recall of specific 100 Watt Renogy bendable solar panels. This product is being voluntarily recalled because the configuration of the product may cause it to overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

Serial Numbers Affected:
The products are 100 Watt Renogy bendable solar panels with the model number RNG-100DB. The products have the UPC code 720825342283 and a serial number beginning with 15029201504030xxx or 15037201504140xxx.

Participating in the Recall:
Please stop using this product immediately. You can return your unit for a full refund or a replacement product.

• If you return your unit for a refund, a pre-paid return label will be sent to your email address. Once the product has arrived at RNG’s location, a full refund will be issued.
  • You may also replace your unit with a RNG-100D rigid panel and receive a partial credit. A pre-paid return label will be sent to your email address. Once the product arrives at RNG’s location, a partial refund will be issued.

If you have questions about this voluntary recall, please call RNG toll-free at 1 (800) 330-8678, ext. 2, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. PST Saturday, or emailcustomerservice@renogy.com. Please be prepared with an order number or email address to look up the order.

Sincerely,
RNG Group, Inc.

camelracer said:
This recall only applies to the Renogy flexible 100w panels. Renogy has notified owners about the affected models and S/N's. FWC has not used these panels but a lot of us have added them as portables or roof mount.

My understanding is that if the panel is bent too much it can crack the substrate and cause an electrical problem that might result in heating. I'm planning on keeping mine for now and keep an eye out for more reported problems.
I spoke to them today and the issue is not the same as the cracking issue, although they would not give details. They said there is a specific problem with a range of serial numbers (see LookyLou's message above). If you brought between April 1 and Oct 1 of 2015 you may have gotten these units - the ONLY way to know is the serial number. Serial number is on your order OR it is on the back of the panel.

I am in a bit of a bind since my panels are glued down and I don't know my serial numbers, although I did buy in the time frame. If I remove them I will likely destroy them and Murphy's law means that mine will not be from the bad batch.

I am not sure what can burn on the panels other than the plastic, but I would rather not find out.

cdbrow1 said:
I spoke to them today and the issue is not the same as the cracking issue, although they would not give details. They said there is a specific problem with a range of serial numbers (see LookyLou's message above). If you brought between April 1 and Oct 1 of 2015 you may have gotten these units - the ONLY way to know is the serial number. Serial number is on your order OR it is on the back of the panel.

I am in a bit of a bind since my panels are glued down and I don't know my serial numbers, although I did buy in the time frame. If I remove them I will likely destroy them and Murphy's law means that mine will not be from the bad batch.

I am not sure what can burn on the panels other than the plastic, but I would rather not find out.
They probably have the serial number of the units they sold you. Perhaps they are indicated on your receipt as well.

I took the first of my three panels off yesterday and completely destroyed it in the process. Serial number was not one of the one recalled (JOY).

I have two more, but I bought those as a package so the numbers should be sequential, so if that one is good I will still have one left.

After a year of flex panels I think I am going to switch to hard panels - the roof flexs too much and water and debris has been pooling on (and under) the flex panels. Plus I don't have the option to remove them if I want to carry stuff on the roof.

I destroyed my panel taking it off too. Renogy still refunded the total purchase price plus sent me a carton and label to return it. My symptoms were 19 volts - NO amps. NO heat and I was careful not to bend it before gluing on the roof.. Bought it Sept 2014.

I replaced it with a Renogy 150 watt Rigid, Very impressed so far.

Ok I got my last two panels off. Thankfully (since they also got damaged) they are both subject to the recall. I think I am also going to go with the 150 watt Panels (x2) - provided I can find the space on the roof.

Back
Top Bottom