Renovating the Keystone starts and a lot of questions

Black914

Advanced Member
Got the '85 Keystone home Wednesday afternoon and started a little interior renovation yesterday, It's certainly showing 39 years of use so I started by taking out the original vinyl. Then removed the cover over the water tank which is cracked. Probably going to replace the counter top and the closet door and front wall. Planning on using birch plywood for the door and wall. Would like to find replacement material for the counter top, but haven"t found any so it may be birch. Taking the Wife to Lowes to look at either peel and stick or floating laminate. Any thoughts from the membership

Now a few more questions, don't want to start too many. Anyone using a MightyMax gel battery and is it safe mounted under the front couch? There is a vent cut out on the corner of the couch support.

Does then front lift panel look like a replacement or a diy? Looks like the real thing and works

Attachments

• DSCN2970.jpeg
    DSCN2970.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2960.jpeg
    DSCN2960.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN2968.jpeg
    DSCN2968.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN2955.jpeg
    DSCN2955.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 25
We had a mid-1984 Keystone and now have a 2007 Keystone. The first comment I have is that we miss the wider floor space of the 1984 Keystone. That manufacturers narrowing the tailgate openings of pickups after 1993 or so is a real shame.

We did not have a house battery in the 1984 Keystone. We had two unpowered vents (with metal lids!) in the 1984 Keystone. Our 2007 Keystone has one powered and one unpowered vent (I will be adding a new powered vent in place of the old unpowered one). We have dual 220Ah 6v batteries in plastic battery cases, in the 2007 Keystone (installed in 2017 and still going strong) along with a Victron 100/30 Solar Charger and Victron Battery (Shunt) monitor all mounted under the fold over couch (which is a different and better couch than in the 1984 Keystone). We have a 360 w solar panel on the roof. We seldom have the need for power between the truck and the camper. If I were to do the batteries over today I would probably go with a 100 Ah Lithium Ion Battery.

Since you have the insides apart I would strongly suggest having the OEM 120v - 12v power converter (I forget the brand) checked out. You may want to consider replacing it altogether.

Indeed, be sure to put a fair amount of thought and planning into the power system early in the remodel.
Consider at least one powered vent over the cooking area, we like the pressurized water system but a foot operated manual Whale pump would be OK. You may want to look into the newer fold over couch to see if it would fit. It works much better.

I am agnostic on 3-way vs 2-way Refrigerator/freezers. Our Norco 3-way in the 2007 Keystone has worked well. We pre-cool using 120v then mostly just leave it on propane (I put a wind baffle in the vest area to keep the pilot from blowing out at freeway speeds but it is trial and error to make it work). We have a 12v Dometic CSX-35 behind the front seat center console of our 1993 Dodge W250 Clubcab pickup and it works great. We do not leave it plugged in when the truck is parked for longer than a few hours. I also have a dash mounted 50 w solar trickle charger with built in charge controller to keep the truck batteries topped up since it often sets without starting for weeks at a time.

Fully recharging lead acid batteries (FLA, AGM, Gel) after discharging and not discharging below about 50% routinely are essential to maximize their life.

We have a shelf in the passenger rear corner that is just high enough to slide a porta pottie under. On top we have a plastic 4 drawer unit we bought from wall mart to store our cloths in. The setup works great! The porta potti is only used for urinating which makes cleanups easy and minimizes odors.

I hope this is helpful,

Craig

Back
Top Bottom