Replace back door panel on FWC Hawk

njdevil

Has anyone replaced the door panel for an older fwc hawk? I just bought a FWC Hawk and the door has a few holes and cracks from opening the door into something.. I would like to replace the outer panel.

I assume I need to remove the door latch and lock hardware and then remove the screws around the actual door. Just wondering if anyones done this before and has any insight..

The panel looks like the same washboard you can buy at home depot or Lowes for bathroom walls.

Attachments

• IMG_0689 (3).jpg
    IMG_0689 (3).jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 136
I repaired mine, not replaced and made a video about it. Sub in your new panels for my repaired panels and you should be on your way. Mine is ~1984 model for reference, though I would imagine most doors (pre-rounded corners) are all quite new

Hi njdevil
There is a company in Idaho
I think this was them.
http://www.emmettdoorinc.com

I spoke with them and asked a question about installing a deadbolt on a door with the latch/deadbolt combo. They were very nice answered my questions, they might sell you what you need, to make repairs. They were familiar with ATC and fwc.

Russ

Easy enough to remove the door from the camper and work on it on sawhorses. I rebuilt the door on my 1979 Grandby, but the aluminum framing was in poor shape. Decided to call Emmitt Door in ID and they built me a new prehung door. Door price was very reasonable, but the shipping to PA was almost the cost of the door. If your framing is still in good condition, go for the repair. If not, call Emmitt.
Here's a picture of the new door and costs.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/13966-1979-granby/page-12

Like others have stated it's a pretty simple process to refurb the door. If everything else on the door is in good shape you should be able to take the old damaged door skin off and trace it onto some new skin material of your choice. I had closed cell foam board insulation in my door which was also easy to replace, if that's damaged too.

Back
Top Bottom