Replace key based on lock code?

dakeddie

Anyone know if a replacement key can be cut based off the code on the lock barrel? My '65 NCO didn't come with the key. :oops:

The code on my barrel starts with LL followed by three digits.

The Mfg of the lock may be able to do that, I'd be surprised (not the first time for that) if anyone else can.

Ok, thanks guys.

Rusty, I can't get the handle off is the problem. The nut for the lower screw has broken off whatever is was captive to. I can't see a way of getting the bottom screw out without completely disassembling the door.

there are T nuts on the back...it's not uncommon for them to spin....I'm dealing with one myself

If you can....drill the bolt head out...getting a grip on it is always the problem.

the reason it's spinning..the wood has deteriorated far enough on the inside of the door to release the teeth on the nut

knowing that a new handle is $12.00 and the t-nuts are available at your local hardware store....

the problem becomes not damaging the siding...if you can drive a small, flat screwdriver between the head of the nut and the seat in the handle it is a bit easier

or in your case, drilling out the tumbler...

knowing that the t-nut is spinning....expect some rot in the door (not uncommon)......I'm considering a 1/4" flat aluminum plate, threaded for the handle bolts.....

Ah, I see. It's T-nuts sandwiched between two layers of plywood. Could probably drill a 1/8" hole in the t nut flange and pin it to keep it from rotating.

I found a couple web sites that make keys based on the code on the barrel. It looks like the lock is either a Chicago Lock or a Hudson Lock. Most sites came up with Chicago though. So fingers crossed.

Here are the sites I found:
www.easykeys.com
keycrafters.net
www.officekeys.ca

I ordered replacement keys based off the number on the lock cylinder..3.00 off eBay work fine

Sent from my XT1585 using Wander The West mobile app

Oconnorcreek said:
I ordered replacement keys based off the number on the lock cylinder..3.00 off eBay work fine

Sent from my XT1585 using Wander The West mobile app
Nice! I'm still waiting for my key to arrive. It was cheap too. Was your code LL### too?

GAH... my replacement keys arrived. They fit in the lock, but they do not turn it. I guess I'll try another supplier.

I ordered a key from a different site, lostakey.net, it was more expensive, but it worked!

The description of the manufacturers of the lock based on this site are:
RAWSON KOENIG RKI and HARCOR

Back
Top Bottom