Replacement camper batteries

RC Pilot Jim

Since I have had good service (40 months on a 36 month guarantee) with the Exide battery that Four Wheel installs, I have decided to purchase Exide again.

Checking with Stan, FWC installs an "Exide Edge "Dual Purpose" AGM. Model FP-AGM-24DP.

Exide makes a "Deep Cycle" Model 24 MDC which I believe is a better choice than a dual purpose. It is rated at 80 amps in the same footprint.

see link: EXIDE for a description and explanation.

I just asked Stan reason for using the "dual purpose" . I will post his reply when I receive it.

FIRST EDIT - Correction
When the technician removed the old battery from the case - the make was the "Intimidator" by East-Penn Manufacturing.
Not the Exide.

Evidently for whatever reason Four Wheel decided to switch from them to Exide sometime between May 2012 and now.

My guess is it is purely an economic decsion. The Deep Cycle should have thicker plates and more lead so it should give you a longer life.

I think the reason for using what we do, is that it is a sealed AGM battery.

I believe their Deep Cycle Battery is a wet cell, flooded battery.

Doing some more research now to find out from our purchaseing department.

Confirming what Stan said ,,,I made a mistake on my research, The 24 MDC IS a "flooded cell"..... Back to the "drawing board".

Exide makes a 60 amp AGM Deep Cycle. Since the "Deep Cycle" has thicker plates is that better or worse then a 75 amp "dual-purpose"?

I emailed Exide that question and will post their reply as soon as I have it.

First Edit:

Found the AGM page see link AGM and guess what the battery recommended with is (drum roll) exactly the battery Four Wheel installs - the FP-AGM24DP - 75 amps. It is probably a Dual purpose as I can't find any "Deep Cycle" words in the text. Hmmmmmmm. :unsure:

I just replaced my Exides. One failed this summer during my recent trip. I opted to go with a bigger capacity and settled on the Trojan AGM group size 31. 100 Ah per battery. I was initially worried that they wouldn't fit in the box, but by turning them 90 degrees, the sit perfectly. I cut a piece of protective mat as an underlay and then bolted a securing strap to the floor. Used a wood shim to keep them nice and snug. Very happy so far.

Jason

Ronanmd1 said:
I just replaced my Exides. One failed this summer during my recent trip. I opted to go with a bigger capacity and settled on the Trojan AGM group size 31. 100 Ah per battery. I was initially worried that they wouldn't fit in the box, but by turning them 90 degrees, the sit perfectly. I cut a piece of protective mat as an underlay and then bolted a securing strap to the floor. Used a wood shim to keep them nice and snug. Very happy so far.

Jason
Are you saying that the battery box was meant for another size (group 24?) and you just turned the group 31 sideways in the smaller box? I'd have to measure the top-to-bottom clearance to see if something like that would work for me. I assume you hooked up the leads before putting the battery in the box.

On the other hand, battery boxes don't cost too much. Hmmmm - options, options. Trojan batteries have a good reputation.

Sorry, a bit confusing. I removed the battery boxes (unscrewed from the floor) and then used some vinyl to protect the floor before placing the new larger batteries into the battery compartment. I did not end up using boxes. Clearance was fine top to bottom. I put the batteries into the space and then connected the leads.

I screwed two small handles to the floor on either side of the batteries which then allowed me to use a strap to hold them down. Similar to those in this link

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/Moeller-TANK-HOLD-DOWN-KIT-TOPSIDE_p_28679.html

Works great

So I made a decision.

Bought a 79 amp hour - 12 volt HD Deep Cycle AGM from East Penn Manufacturing. Group 24M Model 8A24M."Intimidator" Click on the link to see the specs.

These folks have been in business over 65 years. They were recommended by my mechanic shop-A-1 Auto in Carlsbad. These folks have been taking care of our cars and trucks over 20 years and their advice has been right on all the time. Saved us and lots of our friends lot of money and grief over the years. East Penn is the last company that manufactures only in the U.S. Many fine names are now manufactured in the U.S, and Mexico from what I've researched in the U.S, by less than 20% and Mexico the rest.

FIRST EDIT - Correction
When the technician removed the old battery from the case today Sept 3rd, the make was the "Intimidator" by East-Penn Manufacturing.
Not the Exide.

Evidently for whatever reason Four Wheel decided to switch from them to Exide sometime between May 2012 and now.

Thanks for the feedback on the Vmax, camelracer. I've gotten by with the camper's original group 24 for seven years. I will consider a group 31, though.

Back
Top Bottom