Replacement copper tubing for propane lines

bajaphile

Hello,
I used a borescope and found the propane line that goes back to my water heater has what looks like a corrosion spot. I can't get my sniffer back there easily but I only can smell propane after the water heater is operating and then shut off, so I am assuming it is that line.

Is there specific tubing to use for replacement? Or is the flexible 3/8" stuff from Home Depot sufficient? For example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-8-OD-in-x-10-ft-Copper-Soft-Refrigeration-Coil-Pipe-D-06010PS/100343482

It seems like the copper tube used on the propane lines in the 2003 Hawk I have are more robust...?

Nothing special about the fittings either, just a "standard" flare end? I have a flare tool around here somewhere...

Thanks for any info.

I don't think the HomeDepot stuff is propane rated, just rated for water. I bought my copper and other lines from a LP place in town.

The tubing in the Home Depot link would be fine, if it is the right size. It needs to be soft (coiled, not straight pieces), so you can flare the ends. There are a couple of types, based on the thickness of the walls (the link doesn't specify), but either would be OK. The pressure in these gas lines is very low. Test your connections with soapy water.

Thank you all.

I will try going to HD and feel the copper in my hands, hopefully get something that is flexible with a good wall thickness to withstand vibrations. I still need to pull out the cabinetry and will test the suspicious location with soap and water and the sniffer to make sure.

contrail said:
OR install compression fittings unless you can pull off a double flare.
After reading for a few days, I don't believe compression fittings are a good option for gas lines, especially in a camper. Also they are not double flare ends, just a single flare. Done a million of these for brake line replacements.

Back
Top Bottom